LegacyGT.com

How many miles on your CVT? Any Issues?

Had mild jerkiness prior to tranny fluid change. Got a little better after fluid change. Now it's a little worse than it was before fluid change but same symptoms.

sounds like mine did- quick- get a 100,000 mile warranty and have the tranny replaced.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Latest (Oct-2015) Reprogramming CD and PAK DB is out from SoA.

Nothing new for 2010-2014s, some CAMERA and BIU updates for 2015/2016 cars.

All details here (previous PDFs pulled off the site):

http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/111...acklisting.pdf

So if I'm at 40k miles and have the 100k warranty, if I go in and ask for updates will they do it free of charge? Do I have to come with specific complaints?

Me too. I'm not going to change mine, even though I get the near-stall every other day.

Torque converter is bad

Service Bulletin # 16-90-13 Design Change to Lock-Up Type Torque Converter Torque Converter

Bulletin Description: This bulletin announces the availability of a countermeasure torque converter assembly to address a customer concern of very low engine RPM when coming to a stop. The condition is similar to coming to a stop in a manual transmission equipped vehicle without depressing the clutch pedal. Thrust washer wear inside the torque converter torque converter can cause restriction of the oil passage used to bleed off lock-up clutch application pressure. The result is either a delayed (momentary low engine rpm) or no lock-up pressure release. The thrust washer has been changed from a solid bushing-type to a needle bearing type.

So if I'm at 40k miles and have the 100k warranty, if I go in and ask for updates will they do it free of charge? Do I have to come with specific complaints?
They should do it for free. And if they try to charge more than 1 hour labor - see another dealership.

It takes <60 seconds to reflash the ECU/ECM and <45 seconds to reflash the TCU/TCM.

Alternatively, if you have a Tactrix OPv2 or another pass-through cable, you can purchase the Oct-2015 CD from Subaru Publications and reflash everything on your own in the comfort of your driveway, garage or local street.

sounds like mine did- quick- get a 100,000 mile warranty and have the tranny replaced.

I'm afraid the issue isn't pronounced and consistent enough for Subaru to do anything about it. The jerkiness only happens in very specific scenarios and the "dropping RPM AFTER coming to a complete stop" issue rarely ever happens, although it has been happening since the car had around 30-40k miles. I feel like the "dropping RPM AFTER coming to a complete stop" issue is not a torque converter or tranny issue, since it only happens when I am completely stopped. I could be wrong though.

Zero risk, you should feel comfortable getting both done.

There is no down-side because its the same core code, just an updated configuration.

The car will basically run the same, if anything better. I've not seen a case where a factory ECM/TCM reflash made the car run worse or start to exhibit some mechanical or electronic-induced issue.

Zero risk, you should feel comfortable getting both done.

There is no down-side because its the same core code, just an updated configuration.

The car will basically run the same, if anything better. I've not seen a case where a factory ECM/TCM reflash made the car run worse or start to exhibit some mechanical or electronic-induced issue.

Good to know. I'll have to see if the dealership here in my area has the updated configuration for the TCU/ECM.

They should do it for free. And if they try to charge more than 1 hour labor - see another dealership.

It takes <60 seconds to reflash the ECU/ECM and <45 seconds to reflash the TCU/TCM.

Alternatively, if you have a Tactrix OPv2 or another pass-through cable, you can purchase the Oct-2015 CD from Subaru Publications and reflash everything on your own in the comfort of your driveway, garage or local street.

So I just go in and say "I want my ECU and TCU reflashed"? I guess I just want monkey proof terminology. Last time I called a dealer they quoted me a fluid and filter change for my transmission at $79.99. I can't even.

Best thing to do is to quote the 'Service Campaign' if its listed in the table I put together.... and/or ask for the specific PAK file... you can mention when it was released/made available.

'Service Dept - I'm experiencing symptom x or have heard that there is a reflash available for my car's ECM (or TCM) that addresses a symptom I'm experiencing.

Can you please check for if you have an updated ECM (or TCM) reflash for my model/make/year? It should be listed as PAK #....'

Edited by Perscitus

I must say Faulkner Subaru of Mechanicsburg, PA and Subaru of America went above and beyond in resolving my CVT failure at 118,000 miles. I can't relay the exact deal but I will say that I WILL be buying another Subaru when this one's ready to retire. As I said in earlier posts I never had a problem with the Legacy up until this point. I am very happy with Faulkner Subaru of Mechanicsburg and Subaru of America for standing behind their product putting the customer first. I'll be back.

For those of you who have your doubts about the CVT's reliability I would say don't have any doubts. I spent a lot of time calling high mileage used car ads and found that most of them were still on their original CVT. The few that I found that were replaced were earlier units and some of them were replaced at lower miles. Most of the one's I talked to were 150,000 +. There are some out there with well over 200,000 miles and still going strong. Oddly enough most never changed the fluid.

I think the issues with the early CVT's have been worked out and I have faith in the newer units. I, unfortunately, got one with a bearing that started to fail pre-maturely but you're going to have some bad ones get by no matter what brand you're dealing with.

So go out and drive your CVT equipped Subaru and have fun. :spin:

I must say Faulkner Subaru of Mechanicsburg, PA and Subaru of America went above and beyond in resolving my CVT failure at 118,000 miles.

I had my CVT replaced in our 2012 Impreza a couple of months ago with 52K miles. Long time SUBARU owner and this came as a shock to us. Anyway it was covered under warrantee so that was good. I do hope the new CVT lasts longer than another 52K miles. Our original 1999 Forester is still running strong with all of its original parts except normal replacement items. (~200k miles)

Thanks for the post, I have been hoping the number of people having problems is small. What did it cost to have the bearing replaced? I have notice cost is a major concern with these CVTs

The CVT transmission is very expensive; somewhere in the $7,000 range. For the most part CVT's aren't repaired, they are replaced.

I can't give specifics, but Subaru is replacing my CVT with a re-manufactured unit (including a new torque converter) that is built by Aisin. Aisin is the manufacturer of the CVT Transmission used in all Subaru's. As far as I'm concerned this rebuilt unit is as good as a new unit due to the fact that the original manufacturer is performing the rebuild. They offered me a deal that is more than fair, and as I mentioned in a previous post I will not hesitate to replace my Legacy with another Subaru.

The few failures heard about on these forums is not the norm. You can join any forum for any particular manufacturer/model and find major component failures/issues. It's the nature of automobiles. There is always going to be lemons and there's always going to be the one that squeeked by quality control for one reason or another. That's why we have warranties and laws to protect the consumer. I rest easy knowing that my servicing dealer and Subaru provided excellent customer service and resolved my issue in a way that far exceeded my expectations.

Edited by jeffmazz

I'm still waiting for the trans to come in. Luckily my car is still running OK....just a little noisier than usual but still running good. The noisy bearing isn't getting any worse. This trans could go another 100,000 miles for all I know.

Dealers will almost always come back with a quote for a new transmission. Doesn't mean that's the only viable option. The best option is a recycled transmission (working trans from a wrecked car), with a warranty on it.

Isn't that sh*tty on the dealers' part? I took my car to my local Subaru dealer and they quoted a new torque converter, maybe new trans if problem still existed... The mechanics have to know about this service bulletin related to the bad valve!! (doesn't the "...-13" imply that the bulletin came out in 2013?). Of course, the bad valve most likely requires a new TC anyways, but I'm a little upset that it wasn't even mentioned to me that there was a known issue that could be causing the jerkiness I am feeling on occasion when I come to a stop.

Edited by tantolic

Picked up the car tonight and all is good. The Re-man trans works like new. The dealer did an excellent job. Everything works as it should and I still can't believe how tight and quiet this car is even after 120,000 miles.

I did notice on the paper work that they flushed the trans cooler and lines and used the new CVT II fluid in the trans. I didn't have a chance to talk to anyone as I picked up the car after the service dept. closed. I wanted to ask about this new fluid and why they used it instead of the original stuff. I'm just curious if you can use the new fluid in all of the standard CVT's. It's supposed to be good stuff.

The fluid used in the trans is CVTF-II which appears to be the standard CVT Fluid. When I saw the II I assumed it was the new high torque fluid. After doing some research I found that the CVTF-II is the standard fluid.

Posted a thread a while ago but didn't get any responses.

Under heavy acceleration (around 4k), if I just keep the gas constant, there seems to be a pulsing/surging noise. The car itself doesn't pulse or surge in acceleration but the sound is pretty obvious. Anyone else get this?