LegacyGT.com

Subs, cutting out.

Blue Shark

So, my subs keep cutting out, i've taken it to my local shop, replaced the fuse, fuse holder with new fuse. Was good with the ground until recently and I scraped more paint and bolt is solid in the frame holding the wires, everything is good on connections, new battery (within 3 months and good alternator), Amp is not going into protect mode when this happens, re-tuned the audio from a local shop, ect.

Sub's will just cut out, he said it is probably one of the Sub's having a problem even though they work some of the time but I may think it's the amp, any way I can check if the amp is the problem? It's not going into protect mode, good power light. Amp doesn't get warm when this happens also when my other amp powering the speakers is getting warm.

Any ideas? I have a duel 10" JL in a sealed box w/ a 4ohm resistance (Might have to go double check that), my amps are attached to the box and my amp is an Alpine MRP-M500, the Sub's are only 250 each so i'm not pushing huge bass to ruin an amp attached to the box. New fuses in amp also.

What should I test, should I take the sub out and test it to see if it's having an issue and just turning off? I will probably try to find another ground spot but my problem is that it was always working for the past year with the ground it was on.

Although when this started my ground bolt was pretty loose. I tightened that and it's still doing it.

Also I had a bad tune with the system, my amp never overheated or anything but I was clipping a bit on the Subs, so maybe it could be that?

I would guess they were blown but they aren't permanently turning off, they come back on every time I restart the system and sometimes turn off, and sometimes don't.

Any ideas? I'm going to try to reground (I also have both my amps grounded to the same bolt so I may have to move them to separate grounds?)

Also a Sub doesn't necessarily have to be "Blown" to have an issue to turn off right? Would one bad sub turn off the other? But wouldn't the amp go into protect mode also?

Thanks for any advice, i'd post on an Audio Forum but I feel more could help me here.

Also edit: I don't think it would be the ground since my other amp is playing my Mids and Highs just fine. But if doing two grounds would be better I can try it.

Driving today it didn't cut out until one song and the sound wasn't even that loud, once the bass started playing (This was low mild volume) the Subs cut out, turned the volume up a bit they came back on and then turned off.

Played a few other songs, they stayed off then I turned the volume up they kicked back on and then cut out every now and again when the volume was up higher.

is it a factory headunit? what are the exact specs of your subs(ie. ohms, rms power, #of coils) and specs of your amp

if its and aftermarket headunit i would check the ground on that. only other thing i can think of is that your subs put out too low of a resistance for the amp.

Got it fixed, pretty stupid on what happened if you ask me.

RCA's although it was the first thing i checked but nothing happened when I wiggled them. I moved my subs when I was adjusting the box about to take out the actual driver and the bass hit and stopped. Checked all the wires and welp the Red RCA would cut in and out if you adjusted it at all.

Archived