LegacyGT.com

Recommendations for Brake upgrade

lordhowe

I have a 09 Spec B and will be taking it to a drivers education event in Thunderbolt NJ.

I'm currently debating which brake setup i should be going with for this 2 day event.

Rotors:

DBA 400 slotted rotors or Stoptech Cryo slotted rotors

Pads:

Hawks HP+ or Stoptech pads or Hawks DTC60?

Lines:

Stoptech SS lines, any thoughts?

Fluid:

Motul RBF 600

this will be my summer/track setup. when winter rolls around i will be switching it back to the stock rotors and pads.

Looking for input from people that have tried these on the track.

thanks

One more piece of info. I'm currently running the stock Bilsteins with JDM STi pinks. Perrin Front and rear sway with Perrin end links.

I was debating if the AVO front and rear body brace is going to make a noticeable difference. Or rather should i just go with some front SPT under body brace.

thanks

Do you plan to do more auto-Xing ?

Talk to Mike at AZPinstalls. He'll have lots of good info for you. Oh yea, buy from him too to say thanks for all the helpful info.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have a 09 Spec B and will be taking it to a drivers education event in Thunderbolt NJ.

I'm currently debating which brake setup i should be going with for this 2 day event.

Rotors:

DBA 400 slotted rotors or Stoptech Cryo slotted rotors

Pads:

Hawks HP+ or Stoptech pads or Hawks DTC60?

Lines:

Stoptech SS lines, any thoughts?

Fluid:

Motul RBF 600

this will be my summer/track setup. when winter rolls around i will be switching it back to the stock rotors and pads.

Looking for input from people that have tried these on the track.

thanks

Is this your first event or first time there? What tires are you running?

Rotors: go for nice blanks. OEM is perfectly fine to track on. Centric premiums are also good.

Pads: HP+ may be ok depending on tire. DTC60 will definitely be enough.

Lines: no need unless you want to.

Fluid: Motul is probably overkill. ATE blue is cheaper and will probably be enough.

HP+ should be fine if you are a beginner. and they can be a summer Daily driver pad.

dont need new rotors if your stockers are in ok condition.

any good fluid will be fine, though its alwasy good to bleed the system before running hard.

As everyone else said the HP+ will be more than enough if it's your first time out doing a HPDE. I've been instructing for almost 10 years with NASA/PDA/BMWCCA/SCCA, these cars in stock form are great for all but the most advanced groups. I did some pretty extensive track testing with DBA 4000s v. Centric Standards. In the end the DBA 4000s lasted about 10% longer for 50% more cost. So I would pass on them and put the money toward more drivers education.

I would go with:

Hawk HP+

Stock Rotors (No need to change em)

ATE Superblue Flush

I wouldn't worry about the SS Lines just yet but if you want em they will help.

Check your tires make sure you have a good set of summer on there.

If you need Pads/Fluid, just let me know and we can have them shipped to you.

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Is this your first event or first time there? What tires are you running?

Rotors: go for nice blanks. OEM is perfectly fine to track on. Centric premiums are also good.

Pads: HP+ may be ok depending on tire. DTC60 will definitely be enough.

Lines: no need unless you want to.

Fluid: Motul is probably overkill. ATE blue is cheaper and will probably be enough.

This is my first non autocross or drag strip event so instead of going with my supra I figure I get my feet wet with my gerocery getter.

I have stock tires which have plenty of rubber left at 10 k easy driving. The rotors and pads are all oem and would like to save them for none summer/track days.

I may do more autocross with this car later down the road so I don't mind buying some dedicated rotors. Since everyone says the stock rotors are fine what do you guys think about the cryo treated non slotted stoptechs? They are really cheap.

Any input on the sub body brace?

Thanks again

My 05 has both front and rear AVO under braces. IMO go with sway bars first. These help a little with turn in and transition from left to right turn.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the input.

If i were to use my stock Rotors, do i need to get them re-surfaced before switching over to the new Hawk HP+ pads and then re-surfaced once again when i want to go back to OEM pads? or can i get away with some elbow grease and some light sand paper?

thanks

As everyone else said the HP+ will be more than enough if it's your first time out doing a HPDE. I've been instructing for almost 10 years with NASA/PDA/BMWCCA/SCCA, these cars in stock form are great for all but the most advanced groups. I did some pretty extensive track testing with DBA 4000s v. Centric Standards. In the end the DBA 4000s lasted about 10% longer for 50% more cost. So I would pass on them and put the money toward more drivers education.

I would go with:

Hawk HP+

Stock Rotors (No need to change em)

ATE Superblue Flush

I wouldn't worry about the SS Lines just yet but if you want em they will help.

Check your tires make sure you have a good set of summer on there.

If you need Pads/Fluid, just let me know and we can have them shipped to you.

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer

You won't really need to resurface them, you can scuff them up with some sandpaper and then make sure to bed them in real well and allow them to cool to cure.

Let me know if we can help you with ordering a set of them as well, we carry them and can have them shipped right to you from one of our warehouses that stock them.

-mike

Archived