LegacyGT.com

VF52 Upgrade on stock injectors?

Chubien

There seems to mixed opinions if injector upgrade is really necessary for this turbo. I'm not at high altitude and live in a fairly cold climate.

Supporting mods would be full exhaust, AVO TMIC and pannel filter.

I would prefer not to do injectors if it's not absolutely necessary but at the same time I do want to most out of the VF52.

I want to plan this ahead since this work will likely be done at EFI logics and they are a 7 hour driving distance for me.

EFI's advice was to do injectors in order to play it safe and avoid a second trip to their facility but did state they would normally not suggest bigger injectors for a VF52 swap.

There seems to mixed opinions if injector upgrade is really necessary for this upgrade. I'm not at high altitude and live in a fairly cold climate.

Supporting mods would be full exhaust, AVO TMIC and pannel filter.

I would prefer not to do injectors if it's not absolutely necessary but at the same time I do want to most out of the VF52.

I want to plan this ahead since this work will likely be done at EFI logics and they are a 7 hour driving distance for me.

EFI's advice was to do injectors in order to play it safe and avoid a second trip to their facility but normally they would not recommend the injector upgrade for a VF52 swap.

We typically do not suggest injectors on this combination, but because of the distance you are traveling we want to make sure you do not run into any road blocks come time to tune the car. We typically give people who are driving long distances more of a cautionary suggestion list because we want them to be 100% on their long distance trip.

Thanks,

Chris

He has top feed injectors already. He can get away with stock fueling on this set up. He will just lose a small amount on the top where there is no real power from a VF-52 anyway. For all intents and purposes stock fueling (with top feeds) is fine.

We typically do not suggest injectors on this combination, but because of the distance you are traveling we want to make sure you do not run into any road blocks come time to tune the car. We typically give people who are driving long distances more of a cautionary suggestion list because we want them to be 100% on their long distance trip.

Thanks,

Chris

If the car can get tuned with the stock injectors I would prefer to go that way. If skipping injector upgrade only means loosing very slightly up on top this is acceptable to me, as long as a safe tune can be achieved.

Thanks for the input

He has top feed injectors already. He can get away with stock fueling on this set up. He will just lose a small amount on the top where there is no real power from a VF-52 anyway. For all intents and purposes stock fueling (with top feeds) is fine.

Side feeds are actually safer to run at higher duty cycles (assuming they are the same size as the top feeds) because the fuel flows through the injector body and cools the solenoid coil. I thought the OEM top feeds and side feeds were the same size?

On the search for a new DD...

Side feeds might be safer to run, but are a little less efficient by design. Top feeds are 540cc (?) and support the VF-52 better than the side feeds. Top feeds are on the WRX stock too.

Like I said, either way, the VF-52 can be used with stock fueling. Boost is just limited by maybe 2-3lbs at the very top end. The VF-52 does not hold the top well anyway, the major gains are down lower.

Not trying to debate injectors, just answering the OP's question as honestly as possible without getting technical.

I thought at sea level, stg. 2 averages 250/280, and vf52 hits 280/320. Now I wonder if the stock injectors/pump are keeping you from 30hp?

Or did you ask for a tune for more tq?

I am on stock injectors and up-graded fuel pump..... Not sure how to squeeze out more power from this VF52.

Archived