LegacyGT.com

Finally a Turbo for Legacy GT/Outback XT !

PLTek

Hello,

Subaru of America introduced a new VF40 turbo on the 05 Legacy GT/Outback. It is completely different in its compressor housing design making traditional Subaru bolt-on upgrades useless.

Deadbolt Ent. was able to get one of these before the cars were on the dealer lots. This new upgrade starts the new line up that will look similiar to the current Impreza one.

This new model is based on a powerful 18G compressor rated at 39lbs/minute. The turbo should be able to spool to about 17.5-18PSI (normal pressure) by the range of 3300-3800RPM, and be able to support about 370BHP with proper tuning and supporting mods.

This turbo come Monsterported and Coated.

Leadtime is 1.5-3 weeks at this time.

Contact us or order online:

http://www.pltek.net/newlegacy-engine-bo-turbo.htm

Peter Sz.

PLTek,llc

http://www.pltek.net

tel.508.615.6606

subie@pltek.net

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I am sure that COBB will come out with maps for a turbo set up just as with the WRX/STI. They have a test car so its just a matter of time before they bolt-on an aftermarket turbo and come out with maps.

and of course, with the StreetTuner, you will be able to do that yourself but choosing a base map that the software comes with and tweeking it to fit your upgrades.

Thank you and will post later.

Peter Sz.

PLTek,llc

http://www.pltek.net

Hi Guys,

1. The legacy turbos will NOT be able to run with stock injectors and engine

management system. The only turbo that will work safely and correctly would be just a standard Ported or Ported and coated version of the stock turbo, compressor wheel upgrades will change the flow charactaristics too much and would make it unsafe for use with the stock parts. ( you can put the new StreetTuner software from COBB to the test)

2. It is bolt on and includes coolant lines, coolant banjos, banjo seals,

oil return line with gasket and bolts, downpipe studs, and wastegate actuator. It does not come with gaskets for uppipe and downpipe or injectors.

Talk to you soon guys,

Peter Sz.

PLTek,llc

The guys over on ImprezaWRXSTi.com have had nothing but problems with Deadbolts "Monster black hole" wastegate or whatever they call it. 370hp seems very little over what the stock turbo would offer so would make me wonder if the $ is worth it. I would be waiting for something better to emerge.

I'm still waiting for a USDM FMIC solution before I go upgrading turbos. Plus, if they design it right, you can use any standard bolt-on WRX/STi turbo.

I was about to say that aswell. Wait for some FMIC's before playing with a bigger turbo...

FMIC are good if you are planning on racing or running a huge compressor on your vehicle, stock or Perrin TMIC will do just fine with this baby and its boost.

As for Deadbolt, they are a solid company with a lot of experience. I dont know the specific situation in which someone may have had bad experience with Deadbolt, was it the turbo, was it the tune, was it the customer service?

I can or at least could point to threads that make the AccessPORTs out to be useless, I love them.

I try to do my best to pick and present everyone with a solid reputable product and I know everyone appreciates that here,

Thanks everyone and good night

PS

PLTek,llc

FMIC are good if you are planning on racing or running a huge compressor on your vehicle, stock or Perrin TMIC will do just fine with this baby and its boost.

As for Deadbolt, they are a solid company with a lot of experience. I dont know the specific situation in which someone may have had bad experience with Deadbolt, was it the turbo, was it the tune, was it the customer service?

I can or at least could point to threads that make the AccessPORTs out to be useless, I love them.

I try to do my best to pick and present everyone with a solid reputable product and I know everyone appreciates that here,

Thanks everyone and good night

PS

PLTek,llc

It isnt an isolated experiance. The turbo itself is perfectly fine. It is the wastegate. Customer service when confronted about it isnt too great either. Will see how everything goes when a few members bolt on this turbo. Would be interested to know what gains they achieve with it.

What does the stock turbo max at? Close to 370 isnt it?

If you're upgrading your injectors to run this turbo, you better not be running the stock LGT intercooler. Sure, it's got low pressure drop, but it's still not as good as the STi.

Plus, the hoodscoop on this car is restrictive IMO, and to get really good solid airflow, I would go FMIC.

The guys over on ImprezaWRXSTi.com have had nothing but problems with Deadbolts "Monster black hole" wastegate or whatever they call it. 370hp seems very little over what the stock turbo would offer so would make me wonder if the $ is worth it. I would be waiting for something better to emerge.

:confused: I wonder how much of that is "I heard this, or a friend of mine's cousin's sister's ex boyfriend's dad said that he had a problem."

We have done over 150 of these and have had 4 reported problems. 3 of them were easily remedied with different boost restrictor pill sizes, and the other did turn out to be a faulty flapper which was repaired by us for free.

I don't see what this has to do with the Legacy turbos anyhow, as these don't need or get the Black Hole Wastegate.

Customer service when confronted about it isnt too great either.

:confused: Again.

Can you give me some sort of a link to this or something rather than just half-way bashing us?

I think if you look at any of the message boards we are on you will never see a complaint about our customer service.

Hi Guys,

1. The legacy turbos will NOT be able to run with stock injectors and engine

management system. The only turbo that will work safely and correctly would be just a standard Ported or Ported and coated version of the stock turbo, compressor wheel upgrades will change the flow charactaristics too much and would make it unsafe for use with the stock parts. ( you can put the new StreetTuner software from COBB to the test)...

Peter Sz.

PLTek,llc

If this turbo only supports 370hp, why would it require injectors? The stock STI vf39 can make about the same amount of power(Ie Stg2), utilizing the factory injectors, which are identical to ours. Unless this 370hp rating is very conservative, I don't see why the injectors need to be modified/changed. But I would upgrade the fuel pump, as the stock STI one is known to lose a little output as the pressure increases.

On the other hand, I wouldn't drive around with factory EM, or even one tuned for the airflow of the stock vf40( Cobb, Ecutek).

Maybe I'm wrong but from seeing a bunch of dyno charts and my own experiences with turbos, I've come to the conclusion that our stock vf40 is good for about 320-330hp. So this upgrade turbo, looks to add about 40-50hp, or about what a stock sti turbo is good for.

If one was only looking for a mild upgrade;) without needing to invest a ton of money, this is a great option! I would sooner buy this turbo than add a cat back exhaust, as the ROI would be significantly better!

i thought the lgt intercooler was reported to be smaller, but MORE efficient then the STI one?

Pressure drop is better, and it might be more efficient if you were to chop the STi intercooler to the size of the LGT one, but the STi intercooler is just bigger and can cool that much more air.

Archived