LegacyGT.com

2008 legacy GT Timing Belt

I recently bought a 2008 Legacy GT from a used car dealer. The car is clean and it looked well maintained no issues at all. The milage on it is 187000km.

After I bought the car I realized i did not ask the question if the timing belt was done..

Unfortunately, I did not see any stickers on the car to show if the belt been replaced, I opened the timing belt cover and it the belt does not look brand new or very old either.

Considering the mileage of the car, can I assume the timing belt was done?

I am not able to find the previous owners to see if they changed the belt ether.

The car came with a warranty, however it only cover the timing belt when it breaks!!!! which is a scam. If it breaks then more damage needs to happen.

I can have it replaced, it just parts cost about 500$, and I can install it my self. I just want to see other people opinion.

The car runs great no issues at all with lots of power

I did my timing belt service with almost 10 years on the components, and they did not look very worn even after all that time. No matter, it was due.

In the U.S. we have a recommended maintenance interval of 105 months or 100K miles (~169K km). In some other places it is a shorter interval.

If you don't know for a fact it was changed, I would not assume anything. People tend to defer timing belt service because it can be expensive unless you do it yourself.

You should know that the most likely thing to break is the belt tensioner or idlers, then the belt itself. So, to do this job right, you should get a kit and replace all the wearable components: belt, idlers, tensioner. You may also want to change the water pump while you are in there. Also, consider replacing seals on camshafts and crankshaft. Then, you should be in good shape for a long time to come.

I'm guessing it has been changed.

I'd also tell you for peace of mind, buy the Aisin kit and DIY. lots of info in the DIY forum here.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/gates-timing-belt-kits-no-longer-oem-like-251587.html

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/timing-belt-replacement-2-5t-106809.html

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thank you for getting back to me..

I ended up replacing it yesterday. After opening all the covers yesterday, I do not think it was replaced at all.

The tensioner was leaking, belt and bolts looked old.

I am glad I have changed, it could have been much worst. Not sure how the belt lasted all these mileages??

Those timing belts are tougher than they look. Seems the tensioner is more likely to go out before the belt.

The timing belt cover helps a lot by keeping things clean under there.

Anyway, glad you got that taken care of. You shouldn't have to worry about it for a good long while.

Archived