LegacyGT.com

Car Broke Down, need help.

Hey guys I'm pretty new to the forum and I don't know much a out cars but I love my Legacy.

Last night on my way home my car just shut off. All of my electronics stayed on but I lost power steering and my brakes. I tried to start it while coasting and while stopped. It turned over but would not start. It sounds like something is jarring around on the right side of my engine.

I have no idea what could have happened and any ideas that you guys have would be great.

Thanks,

Josh

Timing belt jumping will cause the valves to hit the pistons. That is not good.

If it did, you will have felt loss of power and heard noise.

Could be something electrical is wrong.

Another member had a fuseable link go bad the other day.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If the valves did hit the pistons, does that call for a new engine?

Pretty much, or at least new valves/pistons and then probably all the bearings on the rods and crankshaft. But it doesn't *sound* like that's whats up, as others have said.

What's it sound like when you try to start it, or just nothing?

Less catastrophic, but still bent valves and scarred pistons most likely.

Depending on where the work was done and what belt was used, or if they even replaced the belt, could be some sort of warranty thing? Either way, without taking off the timing cover and checking it all out, this is all hypothetical.

I would have it towed to a shop and have them check it out.

If the belt is the issue, it could be a install issue. But getting them to admit that will be hard. Most likely the gap on the corner guides was not done. This causes the belt to chafe, built up heat, and destroy itself.

There was picture the other day of one.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I believe its a .020" gap minimum that must be set. Could be more, it's in the book.

Have you looked through the how to threads on this job, you'll see the corner guides.

Not the best picture but here's one of mine. The upper left corner you can see a piece of the guide. there are two bolts that you loosen to adjust the cap.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/Picture064.jpg

Yes it is normal for the compressor wheel and shavings from the housing to get blown through the tmic into the TB and intake manifold as well as the oil system when the seals in the turbo go.

Archived