LegacyGT.com

Bought a lemon, what to do?

Hey all,

I never thought this would happen to me.. but I just purchased my legacy gt with 87k miles. Got it inspected for 200$ from subaru dealer and everything checked out fine ( except valve cover gasket leaking) . I put 1k on the car and now cylinder 4 is misfiring. Dealer did a leakdown compression test and said they think its a burnt valve. I did notice when I bought it that it was idling a little rough but I was told by seller it was the "boxer rumble" and the dealer said some fuel system cleaner would help.

Solutions ? I Bought the car 1 month ago from private seller . Dealer told me that if I call SOA they might split repairs with me. Waiting till monday on that. They said they would start me at ~2grand to open the engine up and fix what they think is wrong. :( Thanks for the help.

If your dealer told you to try and call SOA it sounds like they are one of the better ones which is obviously a good thing. Also if you do call try and drop things like your a loyal subaru customer and mention any other subaru's you've owned before, they like that. But obviously there's no garentee. I've heard of this before on turbo motors, usually in hot and dry climates, so there's another thing to maby research and mention if you call SOA, just dont be and ass. Also the rough idle is common on turbo motors, kind of a randome light miss, dont know what it is, but they all do it. Hope this helps and good luck!

First off you bought a car with known engine problems. I feel as if this was bound to happen. The misfire could be many things, spark plugs, coil, injectors....etc. It sounds like the dealership is just taking a stab in the dark with their diagnosis especially when they say "yeah just throw in some cleaner..it will clear right up".

You have to know that this was a big indicator

Got it inspected for 200$ from subaru dealer and everything checked out fine ( except valve cover gasket leaking)

Good luck with the repairs. Nothing more you can do than pay the man and hope for some help from SOA.

[

Well the place its at now in ceentral ca said it failed the leakdown test and cylinder 4 is not holding compression. This happened so suddenly car was fine now its shaking and misfiring like crazy . The dealer i did the pre inspection at said the valve cover could mess up the spark plugs but probably not cause it to fail compression test / engine misfire. Im just wondering if the dealer that did the inspection can be held responsible to some degree i mean why else did i pay them ? The dealer the cars at now told me there is no way the first place could tell the car had a burnt valve / engine misfire via pre purchase inspection and that a problem like this happens with little or no indication beforehand .

Does that sound right ? If soa doesnt want to help i will try to get inspection fee back , thanks for tip. But if they dont , any help on where i should send it ? (Dealer or private mechanic central ca)Ty everyone for the help. I hope other people on this forum can read this for advice in similar situations. Thanks again

I would say they are not liable and probably will not give you the fees back. Are you good mechanically and do you have a garage? If so these motors are a piece of cake to pull and replace. If this is an option you have locals I am sure that can help. Post in the California sections and see if anyone is up for the help. If SOA does not assist in repairs this would be your best bet. If you decide to tackle this yourself I will offer my assistance via email and the phone. You can PM me if you like.
[

find a reputable mechanic who does work out of his garage

This^

And for future reference, specifically ask the dealer to do a compression test when you are having your vehicle inspected prepurchase. This is the only thing I made them do before making an offer, everything else was checked over myself.

A car with compression issues can run pretty solid for sometime, just likely to be an oil hog.

Good luck getting it back together.

Archived