LegacyGT.com

Almost Impossible to Fuel

Just went to fill my 05 LGT and it would not take fuel. Tried pumping VERY slowly and it would just back up in the neck. Turned the fueling handle to different positions and still the same thing. Got home and had a look at the neck after removing the inner fender liner. Removed the rubber vent line from the neck and it appears to be ok. Went to another station and tried filling again. Was successful but it took a long time. The weather has been over 100 degrees for a number of days.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this problem on this generation? I've read some on previous generations but nothing on this one. Have almost a full tank so I have a little while to figure this out.

Thanks in advance for any and all ideas!

One of two things is happening, the inlet check valve is stuck closed.. or your evap system is bonked. Checked to see if your evap canister is loaded with fuel.

Funny stuff lee07! Been fueling this since new.

1055 - any way to check the inlet valve? The car sat for a few days with 1/2 tank while we were on vacation. Got back and drove fine. Finally needed fuel, and our temps were over 100 for days, and poof, not wanting to fill. Gas would fill up the neck and barely drain down. Location of the evap can? Is it like any typical can, plastic with hoses on it? Going to have a look now. I did look at the filler neck. What is the valve? up toward the fill opening, read that is a valve to close something when the nozzle is inserted. No CEL at this time. If the evap system had an issue, wouldn't the CEL come on?

Thanks for the help.

Valve is molded into the tank on your car i believe.. no real way to check it.. you can pull the bottom of the filler neck off and try and get an eye on it. No promises though. If it keeps up and the canister is dry i would reccomend that.

To be honest, im not positive where the canister is on your car. It will be linked the fuel tank by multiple hoses and will be by it.. but i can not remember if it is by the passenger rear tire or more towards the middle. Disconnecting it and flipping it over will let you knoe if theres fluid in there. If the tank overfilled and spilled in there, the vapor recirc system wouldnt work efficiently.

But did you say fuel was just sitting in the neck?

I would also check for fuel by the purge solenoid.

Thanks all for the suggestions. No idea how the canister could have failed. Now for the task of finding it and checking for fuel in it. Anyone know where it is?

Does anyone have an emissions diagram they could send me? That would give me a schematic to go by.

I pulled the fender liner out and I don't see how I could get the entire filler neck out to check it. This was not a serviceable friendly design. Oh, well, as long as it runs and I can get fuel in it, I have time.

Well, found the vapor canister. It is located under the rear inner fender liner at the rear of the fender. Lines are attached with connectors that I did not want to force off. It appeared to be clean without any fuel in it. I have seen replacements from $75 to $300. I think I am going to see how it goes. I checked the vent line on the filler neck again and it seems to be ok. Time will tell.

If there are more thoughts, I would like to hear.

I tried rotating the nozzle different positions. Same result, very slow fill. I will be checking it again in a few days.

Never had a problem filling and I have had this since new in May 05.

Anyone know how to separate the connectors on the vapor canister, without breaking them?

Anyone know which line is the vapor canister vent?

Filled up today. A little better but still cannot fill at full flow. Would like to check out the vapor canister but still have not found out how to remove the connectors on the canister. Can someone help with this? Also, does anyone know which connection is the canister vent line? I am assuming it is on the top.....

• 3 weeks later...
Can anyone help out with getting the connectors released from the evap can? It is still not filling well. Still no CEL. Has to be a partially blocked vent line. Just don't know which hose is what. Does anyone have a Shop Manual with a diagram of the evap system?

Can anyone help out with getting the connectors released from the evap can? It is still not filling well. Still no CEL. Has to be a partially blocked vent line. Just don't know which hose is what. Does anyone have a Shop Manual with a diagram of the evap system?

PM sent.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Some people think this is caused by constantly topping up the car.

Those people are correct.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Some people think this is caused by constantly topping up the car.

Please elaborate, that's awful vague.

I usually use the same pump at the same gas station since it is so conveniently on the way home from work and once a couple years back had this same issue. (squeeze handle, dispense 1 1/2 cups of gas, nozzle clicks off, repeat x 1000.)

It only happened on that pump and only for about a month. Halfway through the second time around I got too frustrated that I switched pumps in the middle of filling up and the other pump worked fine. The next time I needed gas that line was blocked off and marked as out of order.

Before removing parts and spending money on fixing your car, make sure to try different pumps or even a different gas station.

Someone also may have vandalised your car by stuffing a rag or paper towel in the filler neck which wouldn't completely block off the flow since gas could still soak through the material.

• 4 weeks later...

Update. Pulled evap canister out and it appears to be fine. No fuel found inside and all ports flowed air easily. Two small hoses go out of the canister into the Pressure Control Solenoid Valve and the third hose out of the PCSV goes to the Shut-Off valve on filler neck. Other hose on Shut-Off valve goes to Fuel Cut Valve. There is also a vent line on the filler neck. This looks to go to the tank and tees into the Vent Valve. This all comes from the Service Manual. So far, I have not found anything that directly relates to the filling issue in the manual. Does anyone have thoughts or experience with this system? My problem is definitely not a pump issue or station issue. I have tried numerous pumps and stations with same results. Has to be a vent issue but with the ECU controlling so many valves, it is hard to narrow it down. There is a fuel tank pressure sensor but when fueling, the car is shut off so it can't be controlling anything, can it?

Any suggestions would be great. And of course, parts are not the most accessible in this system.

I'm having this same issue, except my car threw a p1443 code for a bad purge solenoid in the canister (not to be confused with the boost solenoid). It is a nonservicable part and can only be fixed by replacing the whole charcoal canister. I know you already figured this out, but to undo the hoses just squeeze the colored parts till your fingers bleed and pull.

Try filling up with the evap canister detached from the system. In my case, I have no problems filling up while venting fumes to atmosphere, so I know the problem is the canister in some fashion. New canister is about 250-300 from my research. DO NOT order a canister purge solenoid for an 05 LGT. They do not exist even though rock auto and other sites say they do. It is a wrx part I believe.

Thanks Mill

The connectors on the evap can are a bitch to unclip. Ended up using a couple of small screwdrivers to leverage them off. It appears that one of the large hoses goes out to the vent valve. Not sure which one, though. I tried to push air through both and one would not flow. Wondering if there is a check valve in that line. I tried pushing air into the tank and pressurizing it in hopes of checking the vent. Would not vent except back through the filling spout. I am feeling the vent valve is not working correctly. Are these user replaceable? Any other thoughts?

In my experience a slow fill, or no fill at all, is due to a clogged canister or an obstructed hose. If liquid fuel gets into the canister it is pretty much done. I've also seen spider webs/egg nests in lines cause blockages. However, a vent valve (aka canister close valve) that is stuck shut could possibly cause this condition. It should trigger a check engine light, but not necessarily.

If the system can't vent when filling up the vapors cause a back pressure which keeps the liquid fuel from getting in. This will happen more often when it's very hot outside because the heat causes more fuel vapors in the tank. If the canister is not clogged or filled with liquid fuel (it will be heavy if it is) and your lines are all clear then the vent valve may be stuck shut.

You could check the valve by trying to blow air through it both ways with the electrical connector unplugged. If you can't blow air through, it's probably stuck. The other way would be to use a scan tool to actuate it. You could also actuate it with a 12v battery and some wires, but you def want to have a wiring diagram if you're going to attempt that. It should be a simple power and ground set up but best bet is to check the diagram.

Thanks all for the suggestions! I am assuming the vent valve is on top of the tank. Is there a trick to getting to it? Also, is there a large or small hose coming off of it to the canister? I pulled the canister out and it seems to be dry. Very light and able to blow through all ports. I have heard the vent valve is not an easy fix.........................

Archived