LegacyGT.com

$5 Adjustable Exhaust Tuck Mod (in under an hour)

I couldn't take staring at my low hanging stock exhaust tips any longer so last week I took matters into my own hands. Here are the steps I took:

1. Go to your local auto parts store and purchase 4 metal hose clamps. I went with 1-3/4" to 2-3/4" for a total cost of $5.28

IMG_0465.JPG

IMG_0501.JPG

2. Grab the appropriate tools. I used the stock jack (only hand turning, no handle attachment) with a piece of foam on top (to protect the mufflers), a socket wrench, and a screw driver.

Exhaust%20Lift%20Tools.jpg

3. Gently jack one of the mufflers up until it reaches the desired height, then jack it slightly higher. Be sure not to lift it to the point where the body of the car is being raised or the exhaust tip is touching the bumper cutout.

IMG_0482.JPG

4. Find the two rubber exhaust hangers for the muffler that is jacked up. Take the metal hose clamps and place them over the rubber exhaust hangers. Be sure to center them leaving the tightening bolt/screw accessible. Tighten the metal exhaust hangers until they are snug.

IMG_0480.JPG

IMG_0479.JPG

5. Slowly lower the jack. Check the exhaust tip height. If the tip is too high jack the muffler back up and loosen the metal hose clamps until it is low enough. If the the tip is too low jack the muffler back up and tighten the metal hose clamps until it is high enough.

6. Repeat steps 3-5 for the other side.

That's it.

Here are some pictures of before / during / after for you to see the results.

Before:

IMG_0468.JPG

During (notice the difference in height between the left (raised) and right (stock)):

IMG_0470.JPG

After:

IMG_0487.JPG

IMG_0495.JPG

Rear%20Post%20Exahust%20Lift.jpg

It would obviously be easier (and probably better for the exhaust) if you could jack up both sides at the same time. I only had one jack so I did them one at a time. I have not experienced any exhaust leakage or bumper melt in the 4 day since I installed this mod but this is your standard YMMV, don't do this unless you accept all responsibility, etc., mod. Hope this helps out others who are in the droopy saggy exhaust department.

If anyone has cheap ideas of how to remedy my bike rack incident (see picture above with missing chunk of license plate pocket) I'd be glad to hear them as the $375 the auto body shop wants would be much better spent on performance upgrades.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haha, theres a free mod

Move the exhaust hangers to the middle hole - the split

I tried the free version first but it was a PITA to get my rubber hangers off and I was not totally satisfied with the results. Although it raised the tips up they did not hang evenly and were still a little too low for my taste. For free it's a great mod and the reason I even though to do this but for $5, and in my case less effort, doing it this way made it completely adjustable and more easily returned to stock if need be.

Looks good!!! Can also be done with large back zip ties...

On the broken trunk - you may be able to source a piece somewhere. Or there's alot that can be done at home with bondo, matched spraypaint (paintscratch.com), spray clear, etc. Google on DIY auto paint repair.

I've done this a while back. Moved my hangers to the middle part of the hanger and then used hose clamps on it. It tucked my GMS crapback up pretty good. Though it rattles now since I sucked it up so much. Oh well, what doesn't rattle with this car.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

Looks great.

Would probably be pretty easy to evenly raise the cans by using a 2x4 on top of the jack and the jack centered of the car, just to insure its a uniform adjustment.

Thanks for the suggestion!

With the stock cans I stuck them through the middle slot of the mounts, but my new Borla exhaust fixed the OEM gap using the correct holes, but not enough for my liking. I didn't need a jack either, the tips came up as I tightened the clamps.

Here are pictures of my stock, stock using middle hole in mounts, and Borla using hose clamps...

IMG_0739x.thumb.jpg.f3d36707c531a8ea4a430a9b25247b55.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg.5a941e7bd187e2ca6b74d7bfc2169f09.jpg

IMG_1106x.thumb.jpg.34fd4f4ecffd276b1f5a8d6a9c24bff7.jpg

IMG_1107x.thumb.jpg.5249046802816784f8eb341b0b890ff9.jpg

IMG_1108x.thumb.jpg.f4fb2c2e47fa5a258248ef9a0721a6ef.jpg

Archived