LegacyGT.com

ERZ catted DP, not enough ground clearance ?

Deadleave

I ace a ERZ catted DP for auto. After a nasty scape I decided to check how low the DP sits, and it is the lowest part if the whole car. It sits about 3" above the ground.

I have hit rocks, debris on the street etc.... But drove over and hit a raised manhole cover, which flattened a section of it and cracked a weld on the DP to exhaust flange.

I'm don't think I'm slammed or such, konis on epic springs. Anyone think it's the pipe or just bad fitment on my car?

Anyone else experience this, with erz or other brand? I heard perrins stay close to the frame rails.

I have installed tons of these DP's. Rarely if ever do I see one hit. It takes a nasty bottom out or road debris to hit them. I have seen all pipes hit in some way. Race tracks do that. So do sharp hills. Or compressed air bottles on the road.

My advice to you is slow down. You might be driving too fast for road conditions.

Glad you installed tons of these....

I know the shop that installed them, ended up extending the tranny mount bracket another 1" to make the DP sit right on the turbo. Just wondering others had similar issues or maybe its just my particular DP, or install. Ill try to get some pics up.

Thanks

After discussing the method(s) used to install the pipe. I doubt the car is too low. I have a bad feeling he got worked over by some shady install. Someone took a torch to the DP to make it "fit". Claimed it was normal to do it to all downpipes. Invidia too. Claimed downpipe did not mate to turbo or CBE, so pipe needed to be modded. Claimed they do it "all the time".

WTF?!

I explained the old divider plate issue with Onvidia pipes. Plus the Perrins being close to the firewall. But no one is using torches to install DP's.

CNT/ERZ even has a fit guarantee. If for some reason the pipe does not fit it is replaced for free. All pipes come from the same fixture. The manufacturers know the pipes fit.

I do not know why they did that. It looks like an AT pipe. Does it have a bend about 4 inches from the CBE flange?

It should be set on the "J" hook and then torqued at the Turbo, torqued at the CBE and then at the "J".

Got any pix of what is going on at the turbo and CBE?

I see the extension on the hook fine. Its hard to see how low the pipe hangs. But I have a car in the driveway with the same pipe, so I can compare in the morning when it is light out.

Pix of the CBE connection and at the turbo would be nice. Also, to know if the pipe has that slight bend just before the CBE.

• 3 months later...

No, mine was never corrected, and that due to the DP itself. I had the shop check it out. Bend is just bad/ fit issue. It does come down that low, if both the exhaust side and turbo side is mounted flush. When they tried a unmodified bracket, it caused a gap to form on both the turbo and exhaust side.

At least now I know its not just me.

I had an ERZ catted for a manual that didn't fit right. Had to pretty much hang on it to get it to line up with the CBE. Wound up getting a refund from the vendor with very little trouble, and didn't read of any similar complaints from anyone with the same DP, so didn't post my problem. This was almost a year ago.

[ATTACH]93888[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]93889[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]93890[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]93891[/ATTACH]

Best I could do with phone cam in a dark room

Could that be a certain shop on Fulton St.??? Hmmmmm

Archived