LegacyGT.com

VDC Head Unit installed in '05 LGT

boomshnka

It was really a piece of cake. The hardest part was shelling out $615 for the thing. At least I'm able to play MP3s now with a factory stereo (didn't want to lose the cubby and didn't want an ipod). Feel free to pm me if you're interested in any details.

If anybody's interested in purchasing my old stereo (only two weeks old) it will be up in the for sale section...or just pm me.

Chris

$615 ouch. Do you know how many go fast mods you could have done.

I know, I know...but the car is plenty fast for me already. My average MPG reads 27 if that's any sign of how I'm driving :)

And it does look exactly the same except it says MP3 on the left and the RDM button now says TEXT.

Chris

How about some action shots? I hear it displays the song name, etc?

It does show about the first 10-15 characters of the song title or folder name...at that point you have to hit the TEXT button to see the remainder of the text. It also does not have a random function across discs (same as normal unit) or a random function across folders. It's a very limited unit compared to aftermarket but a much simpler and cleaner looking install. It serves its purpose for me though and I'm glad I did it.

Chris

can you put the 6 disk in a 2.5i? will it fit?

I'm sorry but I really don't know what the stock unit in the 2.5i looks like. If your stereo/climate control looks like the picture I posted a little earlier in this thread then I imagine it would work. You might want to wait for somebody a little more knowledgable on the subject to chime in.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
LOL ... VDC is an Outback model. It has Subaru's "Vehicle Dynamics Control" which is really just a fancy version of traction control paired with allwheel drive. The unit will sound identical to your stock radio, but it will play MP3 files. It happens to be the stock radio in the VDC Outback.

The 2.5i cannot use auto climate control, the climate control is linked to the ecu or something. So im thinking you would need to put the vdc unit in there, but use the faceplate from your old radio (the manual temp controls are seperate from the 2.5i headunit) and somehow remove the auto temp controls from the vdc headunit...

I dont really think it would work.

LOL ... VDC is an Outback model. It has Subaru's "Vehicle Dynamics Control" which is really just a fancy version of traction control paired with allwheel drive. The unit will sound identical to your stock radio, but it will play MP3 files. It happens to be the stock radio in the VDC Outback.

Okay, thanks for the explanation. I thought it was the McIntosh out of an Aussie Subie.

So the original poster paid $615 to be able to play MP3 files.

Yes, and I am paying to do the same!

I had an mp3 deck in my car (make that cars) for the last 4 years ... I've grown to pretty much need this capability in my car. It's just one of those luxuries I've grown accustomed to and can't let go.

Some people need leather, some need coilovers, some need subs ... I just need mp3s. But I'd like some of those other goodies (except leather ... just not for me).

I think when I upgrade the stock stereo I'll do the DIN bracket in the cubby trick. The best head unit I've ever heard (Eclipse, at Car Toys) was $500, well under the VDC. I didn't check, but it most likely plays MP3 files. Fantastic sound reproduction through Focal Seperates & JL amps.

Boomshnka,

I went to the local dealer here in the Springs yesterday to check out the unit in the VDC. Their parts and service departments BOTH told me that if I were to try and swap these (or have them swap them) that I would lose my climate controls. I of course told them that I had seen someone online do it, so it must be possible. They still disagreed.

Do you have any probs with the unit function? If not, maybe we can hook up to discuss since we are so close. I have like 3000 MP3s and really want to do this. I think the dealership is just speaking out of ignorance or laziness. :confused:

P.S. We have a drive forming for the 21st. Check out:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12294

Archived