LegacyGT.com

Having some issues, what would you do?

optyks

So I took my car to a local shop down here in SLC to have my clutch replaced and put in my flex up pipe. The flex up was bought from a member here on LGT probably close to 2 years ago now. (therefore, brand and quality unknown...)

Anyway, the clutch and wrx flywheel I had weren't compatible (stupid me, whatever) so the shop ordered a clutch for me and installed it with my flywheel.

They also installed the up pipe I provided.

After my first drive on highway up to PC, but some very mild acceleration on the highway, I started hearing a bad noise near the turbo. Was fine going up there, but on the highway coming back it started sounding very not good. Sounded and smelled like an exhaust leak.

I took it back to the shop. The said it was a blown gasket from the up pipe and replaced it. Ok.. that's weird. They can't handle the engine going 80? Whatever, it's fixed now.

So I'm on the highway last night... same thing happens. And then, when I'm coming back home, I start hearing a scraping noise from the transmission when I'm in gear but off the gas. That wasn't happening before. Get home, check the oil. Clean and full since I replaced it a week or two ago so it isn't that.

So, now I need to figure out what to do. My car has MY flywheel, THEIR clutch, MY up pipe and THEIR up pipe gaskets and has already been back to be fixed.

Should I take it back to them? Should I expect my clutch to make that noise? I've heard the flywheel can make strange noises, but it's a stock single mass wrx one, not lightweight or anything, and wasn't doing this previously. Should I just go back to stock up? Should I take it to another place? What do you guys think?

:spin:

• Moderators

Make sure that they are using a torque wrench to tighten the up pipe in place. They should be following Subaru torque specs for that and you should have no issues with leaks.

For the clutch, are you following the break-in process for your clutch? Is it a used fly wheel or a new fly wheel? Did you have it machined to match your specific clutch as indicated by the clutch specifications?

It's not entirely unusual for a new clutch to make some noises, but these should go away with most setups after a bit of time.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I could see sounds being there right after having things replaced and eventually going away, but it seems the opposite now.

I have almost 100 miles on this setup now, with probably just about 50/50 city/highway. Nothing extreme on either. Never let RPMs go over 3500 or so. Occasionally I'd accelerate moderately but again, never over 3500 so far.

I imagine they torqued everything properly. They are a fairly reputable company down here... Most people who don't do their own work on their car recommend going here.

Clutch was new, flywheel was brand new. Not sure much other than that. Been taking it easy when driving....

• Moderators
I could see sounds being there right after having things replaced and eventually going away, but it seems the opposite now.

I have almost 100 miles on this setup now, with probably just about 50/50 city/highway. Nothing extreme on either. Never let RPMs go over 3500 or so. Occasionally I'd accelerate moderately but again, never over 3500 so far.

Ok. so....what's the actual break in period for your clutch? I can pretty much guarantee it's more than 100 miles. Start with that and see if all noises go away by the end of that period (likely 500-1000 miles)

I imagine they torqued everything properly. They are a fairly reputable company down here... Most people who don't do their own work on their car recommend going here.

Imagining is great, but you should ask them--especially since it sounds like you've possibly gone through not one but two gaskets.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Archived