LegacyGT.com

Rear Pads Not Contacting Rotor Fully

need bb

Last fall I replaced my brakes with Centric rotors and EBC redstuff pads. Since some of my calipers boots were cracked I also replaced all the calipers with centric rebuilds.

Fast forward a couple months and I noticed that my rear brakes were not wearing evenly, and I am only using 50% of the rotor surface. Any ideas on what to do?

IMG_1367.thumb.jpg.3afcdf39208d512f8bb0064a1f8cb2c2.jpg

hmm is it possible that, during initial bedding that the pad material was unevenly transferred? Have you also re-bedded the pads?

If not, i'd recommend removing them, rub them on the asphalt/concrete a bit to level/smooth them out and put them back in.

I was doing some WOT logging this week along with some heavy braking and I noticed the rear rotors look much better now.

I do mostly highway driving with very little braking. It seems like I need more brake balance to the rear to keep the rotors clean. Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
How are your wheel bearings back there? It would be pretty unlikely but if they have a lot of slop they could cause uneven pad wear. Just another thing to consider

The dealer replaced the rear wheel bearings under warranty about two months after I did the brake job. I don't suspect that both rear brakes calipers are shot as they have less than 3K miles on them.

• 1 month later...

While the wagon was getting its inspection sticker at the dealer, the lead tech who I know mentioned the brake issue was caused from the car sitting and the rust not being evenly removed from the rotor. He said I would either need new rotors or to have them turned.

I didn't think this sounded right. I never had a car which sat for two weeks and then need new brakes. Would a softer pad prevent this from happening in the future?

Archived