LegacyGT.com

Car unhappy in the cold at startup?

Now that it's getting cold out, I've started noticing how the Subaru behaves differently in the cold. I know all cars are affected by the cold, but I don't remember my last car being like this. It cranks pretty funny in the cold (below 20) but I've read that from many people on the board, so I'm going with it's normal (it hasn't caused any problems yet.) My last car was a manual, and I don’t remember fighting the gearbox like I do in this car in the cold. A lot of times it fights me trying to get into 1st or reverse. Once I'm in gear, the action is very vague and rubbery, and the clutch is just a slow moving pile of mush. Today was the worst I have seen it. It was about -10 when I started my car; it started up with this loud whine, almost sounding like a belt, but is disappeared within a few seconds. The engine sound when cold is well, different, more pronounced you could say, I guess. The power steering seemed like it was affected also, turning the wheel required more effort than normal, the clutch was all rubbery and the gearshift was fighting me for reverse. Obviously these issues go away once the vehicle is warm, but do you guys experience these same symptoms when it's this cold out?

My car does pretty well in the cold. Only gear I have trouble with is reverse. Usually pushing the clutch in and out helps reverse engage. Or just parking so I don't have to reverse ;)

My power steering doesn't work at all when it is cold though. Today it was -22°, and the power steering started working about 10 minutes into my drive. (and I let it warm up for 10 mins before I left).

Overall I'm surprised at how well my little old suby does in the cold. Having a cable to the clutch, not a hydraulic setup like the new cars, it probably works better in the cold.

My car does the exact same whine when it starts. It doesn't really sound like a belt and yesterday when it was -15 in MN I started it up and it actually did that whine for about 30 seconds so I shut it off and started it again and it took like 6 cranks to get it started. And yes, reverse and first are definately a B@#$% to get into even when I let it warm up for 10-15 minutes.

18mpg!?!?!:eek: I don't get that in the summer...... (except on the interstate)

I have found that not much on my car likes the cold.... suspension verrry stiff, trans bushing rock hard, EAT doesn't like to shift, brakes need a little warming to work well.

But, NO HEAT SOAK!!!!!!!:lol:

teh dead... teh damn article... the... never was my strong part :lol:

Those silly articles, what unimportant parts of speech! Haha, I'd be interested in hearing it also. I remember my last car was catless with no resonators, she would wake people up. I'd love to hear Subaru with straight pipes at startup. The boxer sound is distinct;)

I am looking forward to hear my built engine with forged pistons will sound in weather like this.... people say forged pistons can wake up dead.

Urban legend. What wakes up the dead, and you! is when you start up a race motor that is dry!!!!! Hell, my NSU IMSA motor took 20 minutes to warm up. The Cosworth on my F2 was warmed up quicker, but you have no idea how many race motors blow when they are cold.:lol::lol:

What do you expect? Piston slap????;);)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Now that it's getting cold out, I've started noticing how the Subaru behaves differently in the cold. I know all cars are affected by the cold, but I don't remember my last car being like this. It cranks pretty funny in the cold (below 20) but I've read that from many people on the board, so I'm going with it's normal (it hasn't caused any problems yet.) My last car was a manual, and I don’t remember fighting the gearbox like I do in this car in the cold. A lot of times it fights me trying to get into 1st or reverse. Once I'm in gear, the action is very vague and rubbery, and the clutch is just a slow moving pile of mush. Today was the worst I have seen it. It was about -10 when I started my car; it started up with this loud whine, almost sounding like a belt, but is disappeared within a few seconds. The engine sound when cold is well, different, more pronounced you could say, I guess. The power steering seemed like it was affected also, turning the wheel required more effort than normal, the clutch was all rubbery and the gearshift was fighting me for reverse. Obviously these issues go away once the vehicle is warm, but do you guys experience these same symptoms when it's this cold out?

sounds perfectly normal

the other week when it was 0 to -5 here, my car sounded like my grandfather trying to get up from the recliner after falling asleep in it for 3 hours when I started it up

My windsheild washer sprayers are frozen so I can't see either..

Same here, except I thought I just ran out of wiper fluid and when I pulled the dipstick out, there was ice on it. The whole wiper fluid reservoir is frozen!

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

18mpg!?!?!:eek: I don't get that in the summer...... (except on the interstate)

Something is wrong with your car, or you drive like a lunatic. 18 is the absolute worst mileage I've ever gotten, any season. any type of driving.

Archived