LegacyGT.com

so i have been having this re-occuring problem with my car.... after about 5 miles of driving, my car starts to almost whistle or sqeal or something... to me it sounds like something with my front axle maybe? it comes from the front drivers side, and it gets louder when i go faster... also when im coming to a stop, it becomes very defined and i can feel it in my pedals. anyone know what it could be?? subaru says they find nothing but clearly they dont want to try to figure it out cuz its OBVIOUS

also, is it normal to have the shifter in gear and the clutch in and my engine revs a little over 2k rpm then drops and does it til im stopped??? thanks

It sounds like a problem that only comes out when the car gets warmed up. If you can def feel it at the brake pedal then there is obviously a problem. With the car being under warranty i would take it to the dealer and ask for one of the techs to go on a test drive with you so you can point out the problem.

With the rev problem do you mean it reves up and down till you stop?

so i have been having this re-occuring problem with my car.... after about 5 miles of driving, my car starts to almost whistle or sqeal or something... to me it sounds like something with my front axle maybe? it comes from the front drivers side, and it gets louder when i go faster... also when im coming to a stop, it becomes very defined and i can feel it in my pedals. anyone know what it could be?? subaru says they find nothing but clearly they dont want to try to figure it out cuz its OBVIOUS

Take it to a different shop.

also, is it normal to have the shifter in gear and the clutch in and my engine revs a little over 2k rpm then drops and does it til im stopped??? thanks

OK for example...you are in 2nd gear and the rpms are about 1500...you push in the clutch and the engine will rev to around 2k...then the revs will drop to ~700rpm or the engine will stall (I'm not sure what you are describing in this part)

If the revs fall to ~700, I'd say you are leaving your right foot on the accelerator just a little bit when you press the clutch which is causing the revs to jump.

Sounds like a wheel bearing to me... Try this. On a clear road with it making the noise at a good click, "change lanes" back and fourth at a good pace. If the noise gets worse, say going left, and then goes away going right or vice versa, it's a wheel bearing.

Maybe I'm misreading what you're saying here, but are you talking about when the car is cold and you're coming to a stop?

My car does that all the time.

For instance when I start my car in the morning, back out of my driveway and drive the 40 feet to the stop sign. I never take it out of first gear, never get about 5 mph and as I approach the stop sign I push the clutch in and come to a stop. The rpms will always jump up. I read on here from someone that it somehow assists in braking when everything is cold *shrugs*

I started to just put it neutral and coast as I come to a stop or just double-clutch it and it doesn't rev anymore.

But from everything I've read here, that's completely normal.... when cold. Now for me it never does it once everything is warmed up.

the revving happens all the time, even after about a 2 hour drive... its so annoying!

i've taken it to a dealer twice and they have told me theres nothing wrong both times... so im going to have to drive an extra 45 mins to another dealer and i dont feel it in the wheels, i feel it in my pedals as im comnig to a stop, it feels like a almost something rubbing to "vibrate" my pedal a little bit

im having a hard time really explaining this well. sorry!

and the revving is like madjik but its an all the time thing it revs to about 2k, then drops to about 700, then continues that cycle until im completely stopped

If the engine is truly cycling between 2K & 700rpm, then something isn't right. I would suggest having it looked at, since it is under warranty.

It is normal for the engine to hold a higher than idle rpm while the car is in neutral and moving. That 'rpm hold' feature is meant to help rpm match for either up or down shifting and prevent engine stalling. My last two cars have had that feature. Even my car with a 4EAT will hold the rpm at about 1100rpm if I shift it into neutral and coast to a stop. The rpm will drop to normal idle once I am below ~2mph. If the engine is cold, then it will hold the rpm even higher, nothing strange there.

the revving happens all the time, even after about a 2 hour drive... its so annoying!

i've taken it to a dealer twice and they have told me theres nothing wrong both times... so im going to have to drive an extra 45 mins to another dealer and i dont feel it in the wheels, i feel it in my pedals as im comnig to a stop, it feels like a almost something rubbing to "vibrate" my pedal a little bit

im having a hard time really explaining this well. sorry!

Sounds like something is caught or rubbing against the rotor. Do you see any weird patterns on the rotor? Might be worth having the shop take the pads and rotor and reinstall. You could be missing an anti-rattle clip or something that small.

Good luck.... hope you get this figured out soon... the problem sounds extremely annoying

I had the squeal, too, along with I thought were unrelated very slightly warped brake rotors. (Those of you who mention a vibration in the brake pedal probably have warped rotors.)

I thought the squeal was a wheel bearing but the dealer I brought it to twice said nothing was wrong both times.

I brought it to another dealer to have the warped rotors resurfaced under warranty and it hasn't squealed since. I'm not sure what they changed aside from taking the brakes apart and putting them back together... but it's nice and quiet now.

I doubt this is the problem, but is the alternator belt on too tight? In my old legacy when I had the alternator belt replaced they put it on too tight and when the car warmed up it made a high pitched whistling sound as well, if you bring it again it doesn't hurt to ask you know?

Archived