LegacyGT.com

Plug n Play Aux-in mod for 2005 6cd radios

jazzymt

Jazzy's instructions are amazingly complete, easy to understand and simple to follow. I am shocked that I took apart my radio, installed the adapter, put everything back and didn't have any extra screws, broken tabs, or scratches. Excellent product and excellent instructions. Thanks Jazzy.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finally got around to installing the Jazzy mod. Everything done in about 3 hours taking my time and drinking a few beers along the way. I swear I always have the most trouble with the easiest things. This time it was the connections in the back of the HU being a pain in the ass to get out. Went and got Sirus Starmate Replay today and everything works great. Going to keep my antanae on the dash like Jazzy since it seemed to work fine during testing there. I ended up leaving a GLI out of it and I can hear a faint whinning, but hopefully after I hardwire the power and get the wiring tucked away better that will go away, but I can't hear it when i'm moving with any volume so it's no big deal. Thanks for the great solution Jazzy.

When I turn the headlights on, the 2 wires for lighting the ashtray and lighter get 12V, but the cigarette lighter itself is not getting any power?? Fuse maybe? any thoughts

Thanks

Fuse is my guess. Mine is actually out right now - second time.

I did my install today, and I must say this is a great, easy solution for those looking to get better sound from their Ipod or Sat radio. I am not a wrench, but the instructions Jazzy included were very easy to understand. Thanks again Jazzy!
335HP/360Tq VF-22/1820 clone with Meth

I have 2 quick questions on this install. So far it is going great, the sound is much improved over my FM modulator. In reinstalling the stereo I see a single black wire with a connector on it that is in the same bundle as the 2 HVAC cables, but I don't recall disconnecting this during removal, and I don't see anywhere to reconnect it too?? Is this used?? Is this a ground?? Where did this wire come from?

Also, I am trying to tap into the cigarette lighter for my Sirius 12V, but it has no power for some reason. When I turn the headlights on, the 2 wires for lighting the ashtray and lighter get 12V, but the cigarette lighter itself is not getting any power?? Fuse maybe? any thoughts?

Thanks

UPDATE: Got everything figured out. Everything seemed much more clear by the light of day. I would not recommend trying to do this install using only the maplights once the sun sets!:) Wait till morning. I had blown a fuse on my cigarette lighter. Everything is perfect now, except my Starmate replay no longer fits in the cubby b/c my radio shack right angle 1/8" adapter is too deep and now the thing doesn't quite fit in the cubby. I'll have to find a slightly lower profile right angle 1/8" connector. Thanks Jazzy.

I chopped the one that came with the unit -- it's lower profile and *just* fits. If you aren't too comfortable, practice on another wire... but inside it's all the same red/white(or black) and a common ground wrap.

Mike

Hi, has anyone else had luck installing in the single cd HU? I know some folks have done it, but my mechanical skills are questionable to say the least -- so any hints/tips/suggestions would be appreciated.

Jazzy has a board in the mail headed for me and I will be connecting this to a single CD head unit (06 2.5i OB AT with manual AC controls) as the rainy weather here in MD clears up.

I'll take photos and post 'em.

got my jazzy board today...now just got find time or somewhere/one to install for under 100...I get real busy now and will have no time to take to install this...any help in CO...worst comes to worst I wait till May to get it installed

THIS THING IS SWEEEEET! Im happy.

although, i had a fight w the screw holding the ground. it got stripped, so i ended up drilling it out.

and, those two screws holding the bracket of the radio - the deep one that you need a magnetic screw driver, yeah, they've disappeared into the abyss.

sooo,

jazzy board, $something dollars

installation, freaking annoying when it came to the screws

end result, 3 lost screws, but a grin on my face!

and, those two screws holding the bracket of the radio - the deep one that you need a magnetic screw driver, yeah, they've disappeared into the abyss.

you know what i always say, "haste makes waste" glad you got it in, i'm sure those screws will not cause any problems, congradulations on the install

I'm going to connect my XM Commander (currently mounted in the upper navigation cubbie and using wireless FM) to the 1CD HU using Jazzy's board. But I'm also considering putting in an expansion cable in the center console for a future iPod or other device. Can both be connected to the Jazzy board using a splitter? Or do I need a switch of some kind? Any thoughts?

In the process of making something myself when time allows...

You can use a simple switch (look at switchcraft.com for double pole with common ground) or just simply mix the 2 signals together using a 600 ohm resister “Turn on and off each device to select audio, kind of crude” (FSR has a little board, I think its called a J3 and solder some 1/8” female plugs on it OR check these for ideas

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MZ6xOIsINUf/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=81600&I=113KVAS300 cool, but not the cheapest

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MZ6xOIsINUf/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=81600&I=469MPSS4 may need some thought into how you want it to switch, since its looking for a 12volt trigger.

OR feast your eyes on msmith's set up

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11980&highlight=ultrasuede

My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

I'm going to connect my XM Commander (currently mounted in the upper navigation cubbie and using wireless FM) to the 1CD HU using Jazzy's board. But I'm also considering putting in an expansion cable in the center console for a future iPod or other device. Can both be connected to the Jazzy board using a splitter? Or do I need a switch of some kind? Any thoughts?

Yes, I did it and it works just fine.

1) Make sure that the iPod is not connected when the XM unit is or it'll draw-down the volume and add a "flat" acoustic feel.

2) Only play one source at a time, cuz they both will play simultaneously if you let them.

3) Look into sik.com, find an iPod connection that pulls audio out of the bottom (better quality, and constant volume level), this will allow you to charge the iPod at the same time!

4) More sources increases the likelyhood of Ground-Loop noise... save the hassle and put on in ahead of time (consider it a cheap insurance policy at $14)

Mike

pm with any questions!

It took me 2.5 hours total, including cleanup. Just like everyone has said, Jazzy's instructions are excellent and the install is really not that hard.

I'm using the Jazzy Board with a Sirius S50 and the sound quality is definitely better than it was with the S50's built-in FM transmitter. I also installed the ground loop isolator sold by Crutchfield. I figured it was worth doing while the radio was out.

I'm not too psyched about the S50's audio signal bleeding through when I'm listening to FM. I guess I'll have to turn down the volume on the S50, or power it off. :icon_neut

It's a great mod, though. Well worth the $$$ and a few hours of my time. Thanks Jazzy!

-Jason

I ended up having nothing else to do today...so I installed my Jazzy Board...took about 1hr to 1.5hr...The hardest part was trying to get my hand behind the stereo to unplug everything...I also intalled the GLI, figured might as well be on the safe side instead of having to pull everything apart again....

The board works great...a lot better than having to use a FM transmitter...might have to think about investing in a sirius receiver now...

I think I am about to be a Jazzy convert - I had been thinking about the Metra wired FM modulation so-called "solution".

I have even found a perfect line-out cable for the iPod. See my post about it here on the retractable cable thread.

Lastly, I discovered the PAC SNI-1/3.5 Noise Filter at Crutchfield:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Hw05sChjULT/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=181150&I=127SNI135

You can plug it directly into the Jazzy mod and plug any 3.5mm into it!

just got my board! thanks jazzy!

what else do I need to buy to use this with my iPod? i want to be able to charge my iPod in the car, so what type of cable do I need to get?

anyone in the hamilton, NJ area wanna give me a hand with the install? :)

-Nick