LegacyGT.com

What's your coolant temp?

If you have an accessport or whatever...

Please do me a favor and plug it in and check your coolant temp. I need to know an average.

Any of the following (or all) would be greatly appreciated.

What's the normal running temp at idle?

and what does it go up to when under load? Like up a hill.

And what is it at during a few minutes on the freeway?

Also where does your temp needle indicate?

Is it right around the halfway mark?

Normal temp at idle is 185-188F.

Under load for a while (or when it's really hot out and I'm in stop-and-go traffic) it might get up to the 195-200F, but only briefly until the fans kick in and bring the temps back down to the 185-190F range.

Cruising on the freeway is the same temps as idle. Unless it's during the winter and REALLY cold, then it runs cooler (maybe 170-180F).

Normal operation has the temp needle sitting just under halfway. Never moves from there, even during my last track day.

This is all with the stock cooling system.

same numbers, 90+ ambient temps leaves me in the 185-195 range during my local commute. highway stays mid 180's

winter time 180's

side story: once left m drilled 180* tstat in my grand prix through winter, i never had heat all winter, it sucked!

Briefly tried this on my 2006 OBXT - running down a mostly flat highway with ambient temps in the 70s F coolant temp stayed 180-182F with the temperature gauge at the normal position (very slightly to the cold side of midway on the gauge). The peak from warm-up to normal was 185F and then it dropped down to 180-182F cruising on the highway. Noticed the coolant temp climbed to 200F with some very low speed/creeping/near idle driving as I was parking after the highway drive - ambients into low 80s F at that point.

Mine runs a tiny bit warmer than the above posts. I recall when I drive on the highway, it is more like 190-195F. Ambient temps are around 90F and humid btw. When stuck in traffic, it still usually stays there, although at times it can go to 205F especially if the AC is on (more load on the engine at idle). Car has 137k. it's an 06.

Thanks everyone.

I've been scared to drive my car because it overheated on a really hot day a couple months ago.

I was thinking I had head gasket problems.

I did a test for exhaust gas in the coolant but it came up negative both times. However the test kit seemed old. Maybe it didn't work?

Before i changed the coolant it looked milky and had bubbles in it and the car only overheated under load.

Last weekend I changed the coolant and thermostat (170 degree) and bypassed the clogged heater core.

Took it for a test drive and temps were pretty much normal. I got it to get to 210 degrees for a little by going 90mph in 4th gear with the AC on. It cooled down right away tho when it didn't have a load on it.

But the bottom radiator hose didn't really get hot, or as hot as the top one, after a 20 mile drive.

It drank a lot of coolant from the reservoir. not sure if that was normal after the coolant change. Havent tested it again to see if that level is stable yet.

Something doesn't seem right.

At this point, I'd just watch the coolant temp and see that in normal driving conditions, it stays in the 185-195 range. And I'd also watch coolant consumption by checking the overflow reservoir. I believe it should take a while for the level to drop noticeably.

I've been having issues too... On very hot days the temp gauge goes right up to the white line before the red, and occasionally past it if I get stuck in stand still traffic... I swore I was going to overheat a few times recently. Getting my 90k/ TB done this weekend as well as a new Rad (koyo) and mishimoto fans... just because.

Did you have the Subaru conditioner in it?

No.

I've had the car for 5 years.

it's a 2005 with 136k on it.

Its possible I could've contaminated the coolant when I was trying to flush the heater core a few months back and thats why it looked cloudy.

But I'm worried it's head gasket related.

I will have to see if the coolant I put in last week gets milky again.

Is the conditioner needed?

No.

I've had the car for 5 years.

it's a 2005 with 136k on it.

Its possible I could've contaminated the coolant when I was trying to flush the heater core a few months back and thats why it looked cloudy.

But I'm worried it's head gasket related.

I will have to see if the coolant I put in last week gets milky again.

Is the conditioner needed?

Have you ever changed the coolant?

"is it needed" is relative but its this:

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/8773314608400448711?sclient=psy-ab&biw=1392&bih=775&q=subaru+coolant+conditioner&oq=subaru+coolant+c&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.&bvm=bv.99261572,d.dmo&pf=p&gs_rn=64&gs_ri=psy-ab&tok=ZZTf_FfJv3D7JOXiXqLk1Q&cp=16&gs_id=aa&xhr=t&tch=1&ech=17&psi=vRDBVY8gich63u-m2AU.1438716093832.1&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0CJMBELokahUKEwj7yYePk5DHAhVFWh4KHb7iCys

my temp guage reads 200 up to 210 when im at idle, sometimes it will continue to rise up to 220(no change on the dash guage though)... however when i am driving the guage goes down to 180-190. Recently temp guage was acting all crazy spiking from the usual 180-200 all the way to 220. This cause my dash guage to rise all the way up about 3/4 not in red zone. Changed coolant and thermostat. and since the change I have been seeing it stay @200-210 while at idle.

any suggestions for me to look into? Should I be concerned ?

my temp guage reads 200 up to 210 when im at idle, sometimes it will continue to rise up to 220(no change on the dash guage though)... however when i am driving the guage goes down to 180-190. Recently temp guage was acting all crazy spiking from the usual 180-200 all the way to 220. This cause my dash guage to rise all the way up about 3/4 not in red zone. Changed coolant and thermostat. and since the change I have been seeing it stay @200-210 while at idle.

any suggestions for me to look into? Should I be concerned ?

You may have air in your system you need to bleed.

Do you hear any gurgling sounds behind the dash?

how is your heater core? Is it clogged? Do you have good heat on the passenger side?

You may have air in your system you need to bleed.

Do you hear any gurgling sounds behind the dash?

how is your heater core? Is it clogged? Do you have good heat on the passenger side?

I bled the system --could need to do this again

not sure how the heater core is doing, will check

good heat on passenger side though

• 10 months later...

Archived