LegacyGT.com

Bad smell after WOT in 5EAT

When I use sport mode and go WOT I always get this bad smell in the cabin. This only happens when using sport mode not when in D.

And the smell is hard to describe...not really mechanical or organic.

Searched but could not find what I was experiencing...anyone else have this??

This is for a 2005 GT with no mods with 170K km.

Any description of the smell?

If it is a burning rubber smell, it could be the belts getting hot. When I push it hard to redline in manual mode, the belts get hot and start to smell a little, but it goes away after I return to normal throttle for a few minutes.

It's cool; I'm with the band

i thought all legacy's smell......

last time i complained to the dealer about a "Smell" the told me it was cosmoline on the bottom of the car.... I made them clean it off where they could find it (if it exist at all) now only smell if driving hard....

No exhaust leak and with windows up (just starting to get warm enough for windows now).

And I don't really notice anything with normal D....just when in sport mode. And it's not faint either, I would have to open up the windows to let the smell out.

I can't say for sure that it's burning but I would have to say it's the closest thing. Just wanted to know if this was normal among 5EAT owners and if it's a known issue.

I'm pretty sure its just the belts getting a little hot. It happened to me really badly this winter when I would do donuts (in a privately owned lot) and the car liked to automatically downshift on me backwards and then when it came back forward I was pushing redline. It went away after a few minutes of normal driving. If it remains after more than a few (10 minutes) of normal, non WOT driving, I would be worried, but if it goes away, its normal.
It's cool; I'm with the band

It doesn't happen during normal driving just when I floor it (like merging on highway) but it's just really annoying to have that smell, especially when you have passengers.

But if it's normal then not much I can do.

Thanks for all the replies and help.

+1 on all my cars whenever I give it a good beating merging or after toll booths. Now the smell isn't bad enough for me to open my windows :0

The Subie seems to smell a little more than my other cars did, AND it's my first 5eat :)

To me it smells like a mix of sulphur and burning rubber.

You'll get used to it.

I guess this would be the closest thing.

And no, not my fart...and at least I know that's functional :lol:

I guess if it's normal I don't have to worry...just don't want a trail of oil and metal shards on the highway.

Is it tuned? Are you catless or high-flow cat?

I solved part of the smell by stuffing old shirts/rags in the inside fender pockets where the plastic vents to the outside are. When you drive, a vacuum is formed and draws air in and with it the smell. by stuffing rags in there I prevent that from happening and the little that comes in, gets filtered. :lol:

Seriously, those little flaps are waay to weak ( weaker than other brands) and allow lots of smell/dirt in by the amount evident between the trim and inner fender.

Archived