LegacyGT.com

Headlight Washer retro?

Does anyone know if there's a headlight washer retrofit, or factory, available for the 2010/1 Legacy? A couple of photos on the JDM site showed some small panels near the headlamps which look suspiciously like popup nozzles on the BMW cars. If that's not legit, an aftermarket refit might be an option, but I don't really know of any.

-

S

I've retrofitted these to my 99RS when I had it. It was one of the more difficult mods I've done.

http://www.scoobymods.com/head-lamp-washer-mod-t61.html?t=61

The worst part was cutting into the bumper with a razor knife without having a templet. It was more eyeballing because I had nothing to go by and there were a lot of angles and curves to deal with. In the end it was cool but I didn't use it all that much. Back in the day it was very hard to source parts too. It may be easier today.

Peaty,

2019 Imp Sport 5 Dr (Mine) 2013 Outback Premium (Wife's)

2010 Legacy 3.6R (Son), 2001 Forester S (other son)

1999 Miata (my summer ride)

Well, the bumper shape difference just figures....

OTOH, the shape may not matter so much if the nozzles are adjustable so they could be aimed a little different. A bigger problem might be the controls. Are these manual or do they activate automatically? e.g. you have a separate button for them or you hold down the wash button for longer than 1 second or it does it every 7th wash or something like that? I'm guessing that integration would be entirely missing in the US market cars.

-

S

Get some sweet led nozzles that all the kids in Berettas used to run back in highschool(late 90s)!

Jk. Good luck and happy modding!

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

There is no separate button. They activate when you hold down the wash button for longer than 1 second or so.

Well that's good to know. Just need to figure out how they do that now. I was worried I'd need to find a spot to mount a button. :lol:

-

S

I had this feature on my 2003 Audi A6 and loved it! It turned on after about 2 seconds of firing the windshield washers. So the tech is out there to be salvaged if the JDM stuff isn't readily available. But as others have said, cutting into the bumper is going to be the hardest part of all this.

• 2 weeks later...
this may be possible. I took my bumper off to install HID and attached to the same harness that goes to the wiper pump there is another connector, possibly for another pump that would power the headlight washers. Didn't have a chance to take a multimeter to it but it looks like it's in the position for that.

• 2 years later...
Sorry to revive such an old thread. Would anyone know what the part numbers are for the headlight washers? The 2.5i didn't come with the headlight washers and the front bumper I'm going to pick up from a mate has the cutouts.

Unfortunately us USDM guys probably won't be of any help since we don't get those on any models here. If I remember correctly you are in AUS or NZ, correct? If so, the best bet is probably making a trip down to your local dealer.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a hold of the parts from Japanparts. If anyone wants to order some here are the part numbers, it was about $440AUD all up excluding fig. 875. I opted for just the washers and covers and the necessary nuts n bolts so, 86636NA, 86636OA, 86636N, 86636O, W14007 x2, 57786A x2 got $220AUD

http://i.imgur.com/LOuBXTH.jpg

• 4 months later...
uh... says the guy who's member photo is of two cars showing headlight cleaning systems... a mess?? the whole point is to be able to see and if your headlights are dirty that pretty much = your car is a mess anyway.... ordering them today from Daniel stern lighting.. will let you know when they get here then do my own thread on install.

• 2 years later...
Most likely what I'd do and tie it into the other washer pump somehow. Thanks for the suggestion.

-

S

Get an outback reservoir with the 2nd pump for the rear wiper and run a small momentary switch to a blank in the cabin easy peasy...

I had headlight washers on my 2000 Audi A6. The headlight washers would pop up and spray about 2 seconds after the windshield washer would spray.

downside:

1. I used to go through washer fluid like crazy, especially in the winter. (I know, that's what its there for) The headlight nozzles used a LOT of fluid.

2. The other 3 seasons (75% of the year) when I had a really clean and detailed car, activating a quick spray to clean the dust off of the windshield would then lead to a huge spray pattern of spots all over the front and hood of the car. I learned to quickly tap the spray button to try and avoid the headlight washers from popping up

PROS:

1. clean(er) headlights in certain severe weather and specific temperatures.

2. Kind of looks cool when spraying.

Overall, I am big on safety and always make sure my headlights and tail lights are clean, even in the winter. When it's too cold to wash the car, I use windex on a rag to clean them. But I never saw a huge benefit to them overall. And they had issues and leaks that required labor-intensive repairs on my part.

Archived