LegacyGT.com

Rock Auto CV Half Shaft Assy/Front Drive Axle

Limeydriver

I can alsolutely confirm that the Rock Auto supplied A1-Cardone CV Half Shaft Assy for the 2005 Outback/ Legacy fits like a glove. I fitted a pair on my Outback XT yesterday.The part number is 607355. At $90 a shaft it represents a considerable saving from an OEM shaft, the quality is good and it comes with the shaft nut and circlip. It is the equivalent of factory part no 28321AG00D.

In addition if you are replacing front wheel bearings the Timken part no is HA590118 also available from Rock Auto for around $100. not as big a saving from the OEM cost but a quality product none the less. I hope this helps someone who has the infamous driveshaft boot problem.

• 8 months later...
Check your local auto parts store. I paid $75.00 at Advance Auto Parts for a 100% brand new one. Came with the nut and clip. List was $116, but no one pays that. At least your supporting a local shop.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I went with a front CV from Mac Auto via eBay a while back as well. FWIW, I recently took my car into a Subaru dealership for a drivetrain noise diagnosis. Their Master Tech with 25years experience said the aftermarket axles make some noise on these cars and they recommend using factory ones. Take it for what it's worth.

I don't plan on ditching my axle, but I did pick up a used OEM axle for cheap and I have mine that had a busted boot that I can recondition. Whenever it is convenient, I might try to swap the axles and see if it fixes the noise.

I wonder if the noise could be from a weight difference instead of just because it's not OEM. I'll find out soon if there's noise when two are replaced. I just have to get my car back together after replacing both shafts, both lower control arms (aluminum!), bushings, and taking both hubs off to get seized pinch bolts removed (after breaking one).

Archived