LegacyGT.com

shift interlock busted? how do i disable it?

latitudes

I have a 1995 subaru legacy wagon, automatic tranny. When I push the button on the shifter to shift out of park, the button won't fully depress and I hear a clicking behind the stearing wheel, somewhere in the dashboard. Durring this process, I have my foot on the brake peddle. The shifter has been touchy since I bought the car a year ago - I always had to rock or wiggle the shifter to get the button to depress. now it appears that whatever was wearing out has finally broken.

Is there a way to disable the shift interlock, at least temporarily so I can get the beast out of park and to a mechanic?

Thanks!

-Hannah

Id try to get a wireing diagra, of the shift interlock circuit. you may have a loose connection somewhere.

Or

the solenoid on the shifter could have gone bad. its located on the shifter assembly if im not mistaken. you will have to remove the center console and get a look at it. Generally, these are engaged in a powereed off position so in order to get it out of park, you will have to remove the solenoid, or disconnect the shifter cable from the shifter and pull it by hand in to D. ive done this several times on other cars, but you still have to remover the center console.

Okay, looking at my FSM it appears the Shift Lock Control Module is under the steering wheel column on your left (LHD version). Remove the panel under the steering wheel if you are unable to get to it. I believe if you just unplug it the unit, it shouldn't give you anymore problems.

There is a shiftlock override. I believe you have to pop the console off and stick a screw driver in something. The manual has instructions I know that.

There is probably a little access hole by the shifter, covered with a little plastic cover (about 1/2" X 3/4" or a little smaller) you need to pry out with a small screwdriver. The owner's manual covers this. It allows you to drive the car for service when the interlock fails.

It is still ugly.

There is probably a little access hole by the shifter, covered with a little plastic cover (about 1/2" X 3/4" or a little smaller) you need to pry out with a small screwdriver. The owner's manual covers this. It allows you to drive the car for service when the interlock fails.

Not in the 4EAT that I had.

Not in the 4EAT that I had.

Out '02 4EAT has it and I will bet Seb's life on it that our '97 4EAT had it too. Every Jap car I ever remember being in has had it that I can remember. Oh well, I'm old and almost senile.

It is still ugly.

• 12 years later...