LegacyGT.com

True Car vs. VIP

MikeGeaney

Checked out Truecar for a 2015 Legacy Limited. Also got something thru work for a Subaru VIP program...I guess the company I work for is a supplier for Subaru. What's the best way to go at this purchase? What's an acceptable target price? Coming in with no trade looking for a purchase not a lease. Thank you.

First you need to make sure you find a dealership that participates in the program and that the car you want is also available thru the program.

VIP program is good. It gives you decent discount and the price is set.

Truecar is marketing bullshit and sell their leads to dealerships. So it just depends if that dealership is willing to whore out cars and pay truecar to provide them potential clients.

If you want to know the best way to purchase a car just contact the dealerships Internet department and ask for a price quote. After you get the price quote ask if the VIP price is less.

Either way it will probably be a price based on a few bucks under or over invoice.

If you hear a price you like then find out if the car is in the dealers stock or if they have to trade for it.

I used true car for negotiating my wife's Jetta Sportwagen that we bought a couple months ago. You can goto True car and see what the local dealerships are offering. The VIP pricing is usually 2% below invoice so you can calculate that and compare.

I bought my Legacy without the VIP pricing. I ended up with 2.5% below invoice, but I bought my '12 as the '13 were arriving and my car was a fully loaded MT, which the dealer probably wanted to get rid of.

At certain times of the year subaru may offer the dealership bonus money so that they can sell the cars for less than they normally would to move old inventory.

Oct or November is usually a good time to buy.

Or right now if there's any 2014 models the dealer is desperate to get rid of, but they might have lost their SOA incentives by now and won't be able to sell last year's model that cheap.

• 3 weeks later...
Turns out the VIP pricing was for invoice price...same deal for anyone. Did price out the same car at 2 local stealerships and 1 was about $700 less than the other for the exact same Premium. Still trying to tell myself I don't need a Limited...may put down a deposit this week for something unbound for the end of April.

Archived