LegacyGT.com

Driveshaft nightmare

I bought a 2005 lgt wagon almost a year ago with around 116000 Km on it. Shortly after I noticed a vibration from the rear end that turned out to be the u joint. Therefor I needed a whole new driveshaft. After being quoted $700 for used and $1000 for a new one, I figured I could do better online. So I found drivetrain.com. $700 shipped and duty/taxes for a new shaft with serviceable joints. After waiting 3 weeks it arrived but turned out to be 4" to long! The mfg said that there are only two sizes for this model and they are within an 1 1/4" of each other. Not 4". Does anyone know wtf is going on?

My understanding is that the front section is different between manual and auto (different length), but the rear section is the same. The rear section and the carrier bracket (on the front section) are model specific (ie. outback, forester, etc) within a generation.

The drive shaft can be split to 'pick and mix' from a breakers yard.

I've recent 'snapped' the front U joint on my Forester, the same thing happened last year. I suspect that the center Viscous coupler (in the transmission) is bad, so will try to the replace that too.

Does/did your car 'crab' a little whilst pulling tight turns in the parking lot, etc?

Simon.

All I noticed was a vibration over 80kph -120. And a squeak at low speed. At this point I'm looking to modify the one the guy sent me. It looks well built and has serviceable bearings. I just don't understand why it's so long. They matched it to the vin #. They sent me the diagram for the two possibilities and they are 3-4" out.

What are the lengths? Not sure if this will help or not.

*Just wanted to added that based off the fsm page below, sounds like they sent you the driveshaft for a 4AT

2005propshaftlengths.thumb.jpg.15d624afc59fb3b818a603539c2bc14b.jpg

The one they pulled out of my car is 59.75". The one they sent me is 62.5". Turns out they had the model year messed up as that one is for a 03-04. The other one they say it is, is 60.5. Still 3/4 out. And it's listed for the 4spd not the 5 auto. Would the manual one be the right length?

Just to follow up non my earlier post about 'mixing it up', I pulled a drive shaft from an '98 impreza 5sp at the breakers yesterday.

The front section was the correct length, but carrier was wrong 'height', in the bracket that bolts to the car. I was able to knock this off and install the carrier from my broken shaft on my '01 forester.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8559/8752079442_784663c8a4.jpg

Drive shaft might be a little out of balance - although appears to be OK at up to 120kph.

Simon

Archived