LegacyGT.com

My running lights won't turn off!!! WTF!

BlueLeg

So I go out for dinner the other night and come home, park the car. I go to bed and wake up to see my running lights on. The headlights are switched to the off position and regardless of wether they're turned on or not when I turn the ignition off the lights should all turn off. I tried disconnecting the battery to see if maybe the computer would reset and fix the problem but the lights are still on. So i've been having to take the fuse out at night so my battery doesn't die. Mods are as follows and i know they wouldn't have an effect on this problem: AVO Boost actuator, K&N intake, GFB blow off valve. Any ideas before I take it to the shop?

I don't know wether to feel stupid or wether to be pissed off at subaru for putting such a retarded "feature" on our cars. Or pissed off at the dealer for not warning me about this bullshit. haha anyways thanks a lot guys.:dm:

Anyone actually know what Subaru's REAL purpose is for the "battery drain switch"?
Yes, it's there so you can keep your parking lights on if you need to take the ignition key out. By default, our cars are set up so that all lights go off when you turn off the key. You need some way to override the default. Let's say you have to leave the car parked by the side of the road for a few minutes, and you'd like to make sure other drivers don't run into it. Turn on your parking light switch and take your key with you -- that's why they're called parking lights! I don't understand why some people think it's a useless feature.

:iam:

most cars have it built into the headlight switc - you can choose between full off / ambers only / headlights and ambers / high beams...

For watever reason, subaru pulled the amber only option off the headlight switch and stuck it on the stearing column.

The only time I've ever really seen other people use ambers only is in parking garages - when you don't want to blind people with headlights - but want to be visible in the reduced light.. (maybe thats where the name parking lights comes from?)

^^ hazards do the job just fine
That depends on where you live. In many parts of the world, the parking lights are required by law and/or customary. May be an outdated custom that you don't personally care about, but that is why they are there.

For watever reason, subaru pulled the amber only option off the headlight switch and stuck it on the stearing column.

It IS on the signal stalk, but only works when the ignition switch is in the "run" position.

It is still ugly.

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I'll admit it just got me, cut the wires that come from the stock sub to run my own amp and couldn't figure out wtf happened and never saw a connection but against my own judgement I undid everything. God that pissed me off...stupid design but i know it's needed but they could design the switch somewhere else maybe.....a switch that glows so you know it's on.

Archived