LegacyGT.com

Koni Yellow Sport Shocks - 2010+ Legacy Fitment

Nice work, Teaser! I wonder how long development/production would take.

I personally have verified that the stampings for the spring perches are all the same for the 08-10 WRX, 11-14 WRX, and 10-14 Legacy, so Koni has that. The Legacy shares the same lower mount stamping as the 08-10 WRX, so Koni already has that too. The brake line mounts are all the same. The only difference between the WRX and Legacy other than perch height, and possibly overall strut tube length, is the wheel speed sensor mount.

So essentially, it wouldn't take much for Koni to use existing parts from their parts bins to produce a Legacy strut, they just need to justify it with market capture. I believe the 11-14 WRX will require them to make different lower mounts (deeper because widebody WRX) but they can probably easily justify that tooling cost with the massive market they could capture.

I will keep you guys updated.

Email officially sent to my contact at Koni with contact information for those with the struts being donated to this effort. Thanks to dgoodhue, ChrisCrash, and darkstarmoto over on NASIOC, for donating their old OEM stuff.

I will update everyone as soon as I hear from Koni.

You need the bump stop and upper spring seat also.

Just want to confirm. I already have the bump stops.

So I need to order:

2x 20326AA000 Front Spacer

2x 20323AG00B Front Spring Seat

2x 20375FG000 Rear Spring Insulator

Anything else? I want to place order as soon as possible so I can try to install these this weekend.

Just make sure you have everything in these 2 diagrams.

Front. (strut>spring>bumpstop>dustcover>upperseat>spacer>tophat)

http://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_2010_Legacy36L-5AT-4WDR-Premium-Sedan/_54106_6025246/FRONT-SHOCK-ABSORBER/B14-210-01.html

Rear. (shock>spring>bumpstop>dustcover>isolator>tophat)

http://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_2010_Legacy36L-5AT-4WDR-Premium-Sedan/_54106_6029004/REAR-SHOCK-ABSORBER/B14-211-01.html

Edited by GTEASER

Good News!!!

From the email I just received back this afternoon from the Koni NA Product Manager.

As of this afternoon, I was able to get my European counterpart to reactivate the 8610 1453SPORT for production in The Netherlands and I am having it reactivated in the US computer so we can get a production run on order for production. That will be faster for the 11-14 WRX and the Legacy folks to get something going ASAP in the interim rather than waiting for a new full strut to be designed, tested, production engineered, produced, etc.

Edited by GTEASER

Just make sure you have everything in these 2 diagrams.

Front. (strut>spring>bumpstop>dustcover>upperseat>spacer>tophat)

http://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_2010_Legacy36L-5AT-4WDR-Premium-Sedan/_54106_6025246/FRONT-SHOCK-ABSORBER/B14-210-01.html

Rear. (shock>spring>bumpstop>dustcover>isolator>tophat)

http://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_2010_Legacy36L-5AT-4WDR-Premium-Sedan/_54106_6029004/REAR-SHOCK-ABSORBER/B14-211-01.html

Okay with the parts I listed I will have all that. What were the dome washers you spoke of? Are they the same as the spacer or isolator?

Good News!!!

From the email I just received back this afternoon from the Koni NA Product Manager.

Sweet! So they will also warranty the inserts/shocks with the legacy application? When I thought I had a blown strut and contacted them about a replacement, they said that since I used it on a legacy and not 08-14 WRX, that they would not be able to offer a free replacement. This was about a year ago

So first thing guys, DONT FORGET THE WASHER'S!!! I didn't realize how bad this was until after installing.

After initial install without washers, the springs were immediately binding as the top hat was unable to rotate properly on the spring seat. It did get slightly better after a day of driving but what a horrible experience. The car just would not steer ahead especially after making a turn and the steering wheel would dive left and right. Also steering was very inconsistent and more resisting.

Went at it again this am and removed both struts in 15 min, getting real good at it. Broke out the Amazon overnighted spring compressor as this was an urgent situation. Was hoping to not find any damage upon removal which there was not but mount bearing was scratched as well as top of spring seat, no big deal. Reinstalled with conical washer rounded side up sitting on mount bearing and flat side down laying flush on spring seat. Tightened down 19mm nut and could now spin the top mount with ease as before was difficult to spin. Reinstalled, torqued down wheels and ready to rip. Immediately noticed steering was 10x better just sitting in the garage moving freely with no chance of binding.

Ok onto first "official" test drive. First thought, I wish these were available in 2012 when I had installed the BC coils. The BC's were so bad towards the end I contemplated selling the car looking into Audi S models lol! As suggested, breaking in the KONIS on the softest setting then adjust to driving needs. These H&R springs perfectly compliment the KONI Sport's. Uneven surfaces are no problem and car stays planted straight down the road. Two streets away from my home there is a good size dip in the road and had to creep past it with the BC's or the car would feel like it was gonna take off into space. Excited to put the KONIS with H&R's to the test. Maintained 40mph speed and started gritting my teeth. Front end dipped into the dip of death and then the rear followed. Wow, the front and rear of the car worked very well together to keep the car planted and absorbed most of the dip. These KONIS have very impressive travel as Tease stated at least an 1" more than stock if I'm not mistaken. If I hit the dip of death at 40 with the BC's, the car would nose dive then the rear would catapult resulting in driver smashing head on ceiling, just horrible.

Couldn't really test it in the corners as Blizzak snows are installed but will get better driving impressions in the Spring. The KONI/H&R 3.6 option assembly's brought the car back to life again. It truly is amazing what good suspension can do and bring a smile back to your face. Thank you all for talking me into it and couldn't be happier. A perfect setup for Massachusetts and shitty roads in general.

Very exciting that KONI may make these exclusively for the 5th gens, but for now, the WRX with 3/8" spacer work perfect!!!

Oh man, I'd be paranoid that the vibrating cable on the metal bracket would eat through the cable jacket and cause some issues.

I'm going to tear the struts apart when it warms up and make sure there isn't any play in the bolt holding the insert into the donor. Also might replace the kyb mounts with OEM even though they're brand new. End links have just been replaced, still rattles.

My independent mechanic and Subaru have both looked at the car. They both say the rest of the suspension is fine and they can't find where the rattles are coming from.

Much frustration.

Subaru are supposed to rattle you didn't know!! JK, I feel your pain, noises suck and when you can only here them while moving, difficult to diagnose. I'll fab up a bracket that will screw into WRX bracket to safely move the wire away from the strut, very temporary solution for now...