LegacyGT.com

Took a road trip this past sunday morning

BENCOB

Left home way before dawn and headed down to Galveston, then south at the sea wall and continued till I got to Dow at Freeport. Fueled up at Niko's Exxon (put a tiger in your tank) at Oyster Creek and turned back home. I have never gone further south than Galveston Island State Park, which is just past beach access point #26. As I drove through the rain, which got heavy at times, I kept thinking about what it must have been like during Ike in 2008 and more so about the the great storm of 1900. I read the book "A weekend In September" by John Edward Weems and I recommend it to any of you that may read this post. I wonder what it was like at the toll bridge (San Luis Pass - Vacek Bridge) during the hurricanes? Along the way, I saw many a sign which read/said the road can/may be covered with water but I did not see it to be so; it was all passable. Not being a native of the area, I didn't know that South Padre Island is so much further south. I want to go all the way down the coast one day......Anyway, I'm attaching a few photos......

Nice job with the pics. Ive been down that road pretty far too. Funny, we had a retreat there in October - rented one of those monster houses - and that topic on "what this place looked like" came up often. Sorry but I would never live on the coast like that.... I respect momma nature to much.

Archived