LegacyGT.com

Diamond Black BBS RG-R?

SactoPete

Well, luck being what it is I put a nice streak of curb rash on my passenger rear BBS RG-R Diamond Black 18x7.5" rim recently. :mad: So, I called up Tire Rack, and they still had a couple in stock so I ordered a new one... when it came in, it is ever-so-slightly different than the ones currently on my car. You'd really have to look closely, but the color is a hair "bluer" and there are some (very subtle) stampings near the center of the new wheel that aren't there on my original ones.

So... by any chance, does anyone find themselves in the opposite position of me (i.e. have three of the "new" type and one of the "old" type that they would like to trade)?

Or, does anyone know of a place that can do GREAT repairs on forged rims to get the old one to match perfectly (preferably in NorCal?) I don't mind using the 5th wheel as a spare when needed...

Regards,

Pete

Yup, they said something along the lines of "weird... well, that's what we have, and it's been discontinued so we can't get more. Happy to take it back, no cost to you, etc." They were good about it, did all the right things, but it looks like I'm on my own to find a match.

Pete

I'll try to take some pics and post... it's pretty interesting (to me, anyways).

The repairs are coming along slowly, but the results aren't too bad. I picked up some duplicolor paint over at Kragen that looks pretty close to the Diamond Black color... I won't get it perfect, but it will be a heck of a lot better than it was. Already with just the rough-sanding and fill with JB Weld on the affected area it's much better.... a little more sanding, another fill with JB, then more sanding and paint, and I think it's going to be not bad.

Of course, in the process of repair I noticed that I took a HUGE gouge out of the sidewall of the wheel, down to the nylon. And, the tires have enough miles on them that I'll likely have to replace the whole set. This is the SECOND Pirelli PZero Nero M&S that I've had the sidewall trashed on me. Are they notoriously frail?

Pete

Yeah, I thought about that, and I know it makes sense, but the insane OCD in me won't let it happen. For some reason, a less-than-perfect repair sits better with my brain than two on one side and two on the other. Go figure....

Pete

If you want them done perfectly and don't mind shipping contact:

http://www.restockwheels.com/

Yes, its Michigan. But its worth it.

I haven't had them work on my wheels personally, but they do just great work. Oh and if badges get you excited or something they're the only US shop authorized to repair Bentley wheels for whatever thats worth.

As far as I can tell, there's not really a decent wheel repair shop in norcal.

Wheel repair is extremely difficult work and few people care enough to do it right.

Archived