LegacyGT.com

Turbo is Gone - Recommendations for rebuild

My turbo is apparently gone and I have decided to overhaul the car and make it more fun to drive. I haved searched and gotten a few ideas, but I want to throw this our to the board for your ideas. Here are the basics:

2005 Subaru Legacy GT - 5MT

100k miles

Car is stock, maintenance is up to date.

Car is a daily driver and will remain as such. The car will not see any track time.

MPG is still important.

Budget is not unlimited, but the labor is being provided free. Looking at biggest bang for the money spent.

My Current Ideas:

New turbo

Cold air intake

Intercooler

Up Pipe

Down Pipe

Exhaust

Tune and Re-Map

Ideas and suggestions on additions, subtractions, specific vendors, and parts welcome. I'm also open to suspension and non-performance/appearance suggestions.

Thank You

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/got-some-new-stuff-engine-r-r-184106.html

I installed the vf52 in Aug 11 and the new short block last May.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Moderators

If you are being budget conscious, don't bother with an aftermarket intercooler--bullet-proof your stock one (click my signature). Track down a used STI up pipe as well (catless).

No need for an aftermarket intake with your goals unless you just want more noise.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I like invidia stuff and the guys at rallysportdirect have been really good to me. Their pricing has been unbeatable and their customer service great. Mike at infamousperformance.net also sells a great tune package for $150 that is probably a better buy then the Cobb AP I bought. He sells parts too. He's very good via email. Gave me good pointers. Am looking to buy his tune shortly as it's clear the cobb stage2 is good, but lacking.

If you go aftermarket TMIC you need a custom tune. There is data on this site with stage 2 cobb tune with stock vs. aftermarket, with stock producing better power.

Cold Air Intake isn't a huge improvement from what I've gathered, maybe someone else can shed some light on this.

Lucky man.

I went with a vf52 from Mike at http://www.AZPinstalls.com I had it the next day.

$1030 shipped, that was Aug 2011.

Do you also need a catless up pipe ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Catless uppipe (used sti).

Dp of your choice.

VF52.

Aftermarket or bulletproof intercooler, your choice.

Tune.

Done.

Intake and catback are just noise at this level. But if you want more noise too, catback before intake.

Catless uppipe (used sti).

Dp of your choice.

VF52.

Aftermarket or bulletproof intercooler, your choice.

Tune.

Done.

Intake and catback are just noise at this level. But if you want more noise too, catback before intake.

If a person did, what you mention above, to the same car with the exception of it being an auto instead of a 5mt, would they need to do a valve body upgrade to the tranny?

What's your budget? Power goals? Doing the work yourself?

Best bang for the buck would be what has been described thus far...

...if you're looking for a little more I'd do the injectors, fuel pump, etc. and pair it with a larger or faster spooling turbo...depending in your goals and where you'd like to see boost...

Times like these are always the place for the big decisions as far as upgrades. With where the mileage I at I wouldn't want to push it too hard with it wing your dd but that's all on you...

That's probably the minimum to get by. That level of power should be okay on the stock 5EAT, but only just, and the valve body upgrade is a solid upgrade no matter what. A larger top mount intercooler, an aftermarket bypass valve, an EBCS, a fuel pump and possibly bigger injectors and probably catback of your choice would be great supporting mods to what has been mentioned so far. Those supporting mods will allow your tuner to maximize the potential of the VF52. At that point, you'd almost certainly want a valve body upgrade on the autotragic and probably even want to be upgrading clutch and flywheel on the manuals.

And if you've only ever driven a stock LGT, this will be ridiculous enough

... at least for a while. ;)

here's a list of supporting mods I'd recommend as a minimum for the vf52 (16g may be overkill)

-sti uppipe (find used on nasioc)

-Invidia downpipe

-bullet proof top mount (from BarManBean)

-Infamous feed lines

-fuel pump??

-tune(many routes to go here)

Gauges are a good investment to help verify your car is healthy. Specifically, a boost gauge and a wideband 02 sensor.

With the added power the slop in the drivetrain/suspension will be more noticeable. A Group-N tranny mount will help, along with front/rear shifter bushings.

The vendors in this forum are extremely helpful- I've been working with Rick from Underdog Motorsports, and I've gotten great customer service, and lots of advice.

There are a ton of different directions to start when modding these cars.. As far as suspension, drivetrain, etc. goes, your best bet is to decide what aspects of the car you feel need improvements. All of those upgrades cost $$, and the last thing you want to do is spend money and have a big issue come up, so I'd strongly suggest going through the reliability mods thread I linked and make sure you're covered. Then you won't have to worry about replacing your new turbo because it was starved of oil or picked up chips..

VF52 and 16G have the same supporting mods, and are similar in output.

fahr_side already linked to one great thread, and I'll link another great thread he created for your research...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/turboi-wiki-twist-178684.html

FWIW, My vf52 has stock oil lines with the banjo filter removed.

Most know I have the front banjo filter removed too.

Ok, here is where I'm at on my parts list. Your thoughts are welcome and encouraged.

Up Pipe

HKS, Perrin, or Invidia (Perrin eliminates the EGT sensor) $150 - $200

Down Pipe

ERZ Catted DP $0 (Included w/ Gimmick Exhaust)

Invidia Catted DP $510

Turbo Options

Tomioka TD05-18G $900

BNR Supercars TD05H-Evo 16G $850

Kamak STS TD05H-16GTX or 18GTX Billet Wheel $1290.00

Kinugawa TD05 16G or 18G $770

Intake

AEM Polished Cold Air Intake $250

Exhaust

Gimmick Motorsports 3" Catted Turboback Exhaust $800

MagnaFlow Catback $650

My wagon has been on the same Perrin Panel Filter I put in aug 04, I use the K&N cleaning kit once a year on it.

My Spec will get it's K&N installed this weekend, I bought it a few month's back on special from some link I found.

Archived