LegacyGT.com

Standard 6 disc CD player MP3??

Jeff Outback

Well I finally purchased a 05 Outback limited Wagon.

I know the the stereo in the VDC will fit in my car, but I decided to try and play an MP3 disc in my car and it seems to play but there is no audio. The time was counting up just as if it I was playing a regular CD. I think there is a way to make the standard 6 disc players play MP3 disc.

In my 2000 Outback wagon when you put a MP3 disc in it would not even recognize an MP3 disc.

So anybody know some one who works on car stereos???

We could most likely make a mod and listen to MP3's without paying $$$ for the VDC stereo.

Jeff

That's very strange.....

How did you burn the disc?

Both my wife's '05 WRX and my '05 LGT plays MP3s - both have their respective OEM 6-disc in-dash.

A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Well I finally purchased a 05 Outback limited Wagon.

I know the the stereo in the VDC will fit in my car, but I decided to try and play an MP3 disc in my car and it seems to play but there is no audio. The time was counting up just as if it I was playing a regular CD. I think there is a way to make the standard 6 disc players play MP3 disc.

In my 2000 Outback wagon when you put a MP3 disc in it would not even recognize an MP3 disc.

So anybody know some one who works on car stereos???

We could most likely make a mod and listen to MP3's without paying $$$ for the VDC stereo.

Jeff

Unless it says MP3 on the front it isnt going to work.

What is happening is your cd player sees one long track (the data track) and it just plays silence.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Both my wife's '05 WRX and my '05 LGT plays MP3s - both have their respective OEM 6-disc in-dash.

A

Do you have video of this working in your LGT? Did you swap the VDC unit in there?

That's very strange.....

How did you burn the disc?

A

Wait so without doing the VDC stereo swap, your Legacy is able to play MP3s? How is that possible or am I missing something?

without the VDC stereo or newheadunit in the cubby, there's no .mp3 files being played off a CD in the car. There are different formats of data CDs, and that may be one thing that is being noticed as different here where the new internals may recognize the CD as a burned disc rather than pressed and is attempting to play it, but it's not looking for data, it's looking for CD Audio which it isn't going to find. The other thing I've run into several times, though this does not seem to be the case here, is that people think their cd players are playing .mp3s when in fact they've burned their .mp3s as a CD Audio format onto a CD and don't understand the difference. This is probably the case for TSi+WRX, but I'm merely speculating.

.....is that people think their cd players are playing .mp3s when in fact they've burned their .mp3s as a CD Audio format onto a CD and don't understand the difference. This is probably the case for TSi+WRX, but I'm merely speculating.

Thank you for correcting my ignorance, Brady. :redface:

Indeed, this is the problem.

Sheesh, I must be the only 30-something, slightly geeky Asian guy who doesn't know jack about computers!

:p

SINCERELY sorry 'bout that, guys! My bad!

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

LOL ... I really didn't mean to make it so publicly humbling! ;)

But the good news is that you're in good company. If I hadn't heard it so many times about 3 years ago over on Nasioc (former I-club) I would have probably been scratching my head. After about a year over there (when I bought my RS 3 years ago) I stopped frequenting the Audio forum, but the topic seemed to pop up about every month or two.

Sheesh, I must be the only 30-something, slightly geeky Asian guy who doesn't know jack about computers!

Yes.. yes you are.. ;)

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Brady, you didn't humiliate me, brother - believe me, that's exclusively the wifey's territory (checks over shoulder....).

;)

No apologies needed, I need all the Kung-Fu teachings I can get.

And hey, gfxdave99, dude, check your "Nickname" thread. :lol:

-A

Archived