LegacyGT.com

RIP 2005 Legacy GT

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• I Donated Too
Yep. And the wagon is off to the body shop tomorrow morning to fix the rust hole that appeared- I had a 5"x3"bubbling paint area on the drivers side rear wheel arch and that split with a rusty line appearing through the paint and yesterday it fell out completely. It looked awful. I dug out some of it and it's most definitely a nice big hole now. $1100 max depending on how far it goes... labor and paint time. All on a 12 year old car with 150,000 miles on it. Madness.

Yep. And the wagon is off to the body shop tomorrow morning to fix the rust hole that appeared- I had a 5"x3"bubbling paint area on the drivers side rear wheel arch and that split with a rusty line appearing through the paint and yesterday it fell out completely. It looked awful. I dug out some of it and it's most definitely a nice big hole now. $1100 max depending on how far it goes... labor and paint time. All on a 12 year old car with 150,000 miles on it. Madness.

I just started to see a bubble on mine too, I'm waiting for summer to get it cut and have new metal welded in.

At this point I have as much money in mods/upgrades/maintanence as the initial cost of the car. With only really expensive things left that I would like to do. It really is Madness

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

Sigh... Probably why I hang out here so much. Help justify the sickness of "can't leave well enough alone".

That is exactly it....a sickness :lol:

We all have it.

My main justification as follows, Car is just fun to drive, no decent new alternatives and no car payment. If I can just keep it running well be good.

But! I would like to get a commuter going that is better on gas. I just looked at my bank statement and there are just way to many consecutive days at the station fueling up. Been a while since I had to commute. Trying to get back to my 90% WFH schedule.

Still... Want to go Cobb DP and GS TMIC soon as I get the next smog out of the way in April.

Us jeepers say Just Empty Every Pocket.... the scoob is definitely worse though... ya one ton axles aren't in the picture, but six speeds, brembos, bigboy turbos, and newly built long blocks are right up there! #worthit #LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then equal year wrx sti

• 4 weeks later...
My main justification as follows, Car is just fun to drive, no decent new alternatives and no car payment. If I can just keep it running well be good.

But! I would like to get a commuter going that is better on gas. I just looked at my bank statement and there are just way to many consecutive days at the station fueling up. Been a while since I had to commute. Trying to get back to my 90% WFH schedule.

Still... Want to go Cobb DP and GS TMIC soon as I get the next smog out of the way in April.

I sometimes wish I was back on nights for this simple reason, but who know there is a project coming up that I may volunteer for that would allow me to work my own hrs.

I'm going to be picking up a GS TMIC, in april as well I wonder if they would give us a discount for ordering at the same time, lol

Us jeepers say Just Empty Every Pocket.... the scoob is definitely worse though... ya one ton axles aren't in the picture, but six speeds, brembos, bigboy turbos, and newly built long blocks are right up there! #worthit #LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then equal year wrx sti

10x nicer then the equal year wrx, had to take that qoute, its is now my sig...thx for that.

SUBARU Screwed Up Beyond All Repair Usually

not sure if your referring to me or my subbi but seems accurate, :lol:

I went off a little this weekend, kinda in the dog house with my wife over it....I started winning auctions for 6spd parts and when it was all said and done I was in the hole for just north of 4k for a pretty much complete 6spd swap. Now that bothered her but not as much as me forgetting to submit my hours for the past two weeks..:hide:...it was a simple mistake but on top of not being paid this week I bought a 6spd swap well that just didn't sit well with her, so yea... I'm an idiot.

I also have almost everything to swap from the grey upper trim to the black upper trim from the tuned by sti. Just need to find two parts before starting the swap.

I have been installing software on the nexus I picked up, but I am waiting on a few little accessories, so this probably won't go into the car until mid April.

Also working out something with a member on here to get some split folding rear seats in the near future so stay tuned for that, between those the 6spd and everything else I have done or going to be doing to the car this year, I really should have just waited and bought a spec B.

I finally got around to installing the taillight overlays sold by a member on this board, and they look great on the car, will post some pics once my flickr account stops acting strange.

Awwww man, I'm so jealous!! Although, I've spent quite the penny for the vf52... overkill install. After adding a SB stg 2 clutch and Wrx smfw last month, I've bought: Id1000 injectors, LC2 wideband O2, RacerX FMIC, adding tgv deletes, e85 fuel pump, Radium fuel rails with dampers, and a tune... I'm well into the dog house! LMAO

Aye, nice Sig tho!!!! :cool:

Awwww man, I'm so jealous!! Although, I've spent quite the penny for the vf52... overkill install. After adding a SB stg 2 clutch and Wrx smfw last month, I've bought: Id1000 injectors, LC2 wideband O2, RacerX FMIC, adding tgv deletes, e85 fuel pump, Radium fuel rails with dampers, and a tune... I'm well into the dog house! LMAO

Aye, nice Sig tho!!!! :cool:

Lol, seems like we have similar goals for our LGT's. Your just a little luckier as you can easily get E85. I have my fueling pretty much planned/sourced out just have to decide on injectors.

Kinda kicking myself though as I just put in my stg2 clutch like 7months ago I'm not looking forward to pulling the transmission again :spin: Meh what are you gonna do, I could leave it stock but where's the fun in that?

Which clutch did you go with? I mean, I'd much rather 6speed goodness, but meeting with a Scooby tech he informed me that my year model make transmission is considered an upgrade over other 5speeds! Stronger, and the final drive ratio being better... never would've thought all that!

Leave it stock??? That's crazy talk! Lol

From what I've learned, it's better to have the weak link be the clutch, over going with the puck style racing clutch, and relying on the trans not to give.... I'd rather swap a clutch over tyranny anyday$$$$$

Well there was an exedy stage 2 clutch PP & flywheel in when I bought the car, it lasted 10 months, not sure how long the PO had it in before I bought the car. I put in a Competition Clutches Stage 2 clutch PP & flywheel.

I may go with a South Bend or an ACT clutch for the 6spd, but I'm not sure yet I like those twin disk setups but way overkill for what I'm shooting for.

• 3 months later...

So just over 3 weeks ago this happened....

33773850754_6feb96d0ce_h.jpg

Should start trending this #boostLeaksSaveClutches, as it was just shy of a month since I installed catted DP, and added a stage2 map that the clutch started slipping. A month later clutch was toast.

Car was down for what seemed like forever, but that was due to 5 days in the impound(which could use its own thread for the stupidness I had to go through), then 5 days waiting for the new clutch & LWFW to arrive and then another week to get everything installed.

But lots done and the car handles like it is on rails now, almost 0 body roll.

Installed KDT905 & 906,

Tuned by STI upper and lower rear lateral links,

180 rear diff,

6spd with matching axles & drive shaft

Decided on Exedy LWFL & went with a 6 puck competition clutch kit for an STI(has a larger disk then the one for the Legacy)

TIC crossmember & shifter linkage bushings

Whiteline RSB & Kartboy endlinks at all 4 corners

Going to be going over the rust spots as I want to take care of them now while we have some nice weather before some of that surface rust gets bad. But that is just for my piece of mind as this car will never be a garage queen or hardparker this car is function over form and meant to be driven and enjoyed.

34889616891_cbd8288938_h.jpg

Still need to find a shift boot & a new shift knob that will work with the 6spd setup, loving the great gas mileage I am getting on the highway now.

Currently waiting for a fuel pump to come in, at which point once the clutch is broken in, car will go down again for top feed conversion, Injectors, TGV deletes, EBCS, fuel pump, turbo & oil feed line.

I just happened to stumble upon some OEM JDM rain visors that I couldn't pass up. They came in yesterday and 30mins later they were installed on the car.

34327406053_824cd86381_h.jpg

I have so many little things to do and take care of.

-tablet install

-Black Interior roof & trim

-Install front seats

-Install JMP Custom VF52 + supporting mods

-cut, polish & wax car

-install front bushings & AVO RSB brackets

For those that have done the 6spd swap what shift knob & shift boot have you used?

I swear this feels like a completely different car then I what I bought nearly 2yrs ago. Happy would be understatement right now.

Edited by tysparks81

http://zealousinteriors.com/product-category/subaru/legacy-2005-2009/

Had their boots on a couple of cars now, nice stuff.

Thanks that is perfect, but I want to buy the alcantra that matches the seats I have.

Would it be the black Alcantara, grey Alcantara #102, or grey Alcantara #103

The seats I picked up are grey out of an 08 spec B

Thanks that is perfect, but I want to buy the alcantra that matches the seats I have.

Would it be the black Alcantara, grey Alcantara #102, or grey Alcantara #103

The seats I picked up are grey out of an 08 spec B

Send Andrew over at Zealous a note asking about that, he might be able to help.

I have been speaking with Dave from Zealous about this, they have something in development, they can get me a e-brake boot, but no dice on the shift boot yet, will keep you guys posted.

• 8 months later...

Well I have been away from the site for a little......but so much has happened since my last post in here.

I installed the Damd wheel, JDM Nav console, Nexus7, and JDM info relocation kit, sorry but the only picture I have is from IG

39844554401_24b73120a5_c.jpg

- Went on a trip to Europe

- Came back to a crashed bike, let my cousin borrow it, and he had a low side fall on it

- Then I had a rear tire slashed on the inside side wall of the tire(cut was made by a knife as it was just too straight)

37372705531_15c345e471_h.jpg

So I swapped on my winter rims, and not a week after swapping rims I cracked one of the rims(terrible roads in my city). Kept filling up every two days with air until I found a decent set of rims. Only to get stuck on the hoist all night because I needed tuner lug nuts to fit the new rims

Through almost all of last year I also had Issues with my Retro-fit headlights, so many issues I went through 2 bulbs, 1 relay, and 1 ignitor, but Prolights really came through and handled every issue with almost no hassle. Would highly recommend them on the customer service alone.

Well that wraps up 2017 I think, but so far my luck hasn't been any better into 2018. Almost 2 weeks ago now, and two days into a five day storm. I nearly rear ended a parked car. Managed to just clip the guys rear bumper & tire. But the damage was done. Broke the lower ball joint, passenger side axle, 3 of the 5 wheel studs front fender wrecked, both passenger side doors, and the little piece between the rear wheel and rear door.

39462739934_af29272d0a_c.jpg

39275466745_dd9cd12ed0_h.jpg

39462739034_22c1f27340_h.jpg

The extensive damage to the Tank that is this Toyota Yaris

39275462775_c5dd4504f5_h.jpg

Thanks to MaasaiWarrior I was able to get a wheel hub, and I decided to pick up a revR sports rear trunk lip from him since my car was going in for paint, I figured I would fix the dent I had in my trunk and get the lip painted.

Another buddy happened to have some aluminum LCA's so I decided to change the one side while the car was being fixed, and I could do the other side later on my own once I got the car back. It is currently sitting at the paint shop, I am impatiently waiting for it to be out since they have had the car for almost 2 weeks now.