LegacyGT.com

Does this Dr. Colorchip match look OK?

It doesn't look too bad in the photo, but in person it seems like it's darker than the paint on the car, more of a RRP than a GRP.

Perhaps it's just the fact that its on a white card...

Thoughts?

FWIW I scored perfect on this test: http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=77 but I cannot for the life of me visualize paint colors on a wall or make comparisons between two samples with the paint chip in hand :lol:

Colormatch.thumb.jpg.dbeea4c8d43e1e4ab2dbb11d4c151331.jpg

I see your concern, but at the same time, it being on a white card is going to throw the look totally off. Just do it, if it looks goofy on the car, just wipe it off with some lacquer thinner before it dries totally and carry on.

On the other hand, there's no way it'll look worse than a huge white paint chip. ;)

EDIT: Also think about the shape of your test blob..that's going to throw off how the color looks in any given light.

Dr. Colorchip does an awesome job of color matching. Anything you perceive as being different is just because of the contrast with the white paper. However, with that being said, red is the first color to start to fade, so the original paint may have a little oxidation on it. If the car was polished up then the paint would most likely be a spot on match.

Check out this link for a wild color comparison. Depending on the surroundings the color is in, there could be some pretty crazy color differences perceived that aren't actually there.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 1 year later...

Tried out some Dr. Colorchip on my car and the color match was good and it worked excellent on road rash as long as the chip did not have any depth.

The chips that were deeper I would say Dr. Colorchip wasn’t really any better than any other touch up paint.

Sometimes you have to build it up a bit. I've used it on deeper chips by putting a dab of paint in the chip first and then doing the Dr Colorchip method the next day after the paint is good and dry. Compared to the conventional method of touching up dozens of chips on a hood by building it up, sanding, and polishing I'd say it is still a much faster process.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived