LegacyGT.com

Bilstein HD's, dead already?

TurboBrett

I have 60K miles on my bilstein HD + Rallitek springs. I took my rears apart today cause the car feels bouncier than it should and I found that I can compress the struts (without springs of course) 'by hand'. As in, put the tip against the ground and push down on the opposite side. It doesn't take too much effort to do this but it does come back to full extension after a couple of seconds.

They seem weak to me but 60K shouldn't be end of life for them I wouldn't think.

I can't imagine they are providing much dampening at this point.

Problem is, I can't remember how they were when new. Has anyone tested theirs or have gone through enough mileage to call them used up?

BTW - I haven't seen any leaking or other indicators that they would be dead.

Yes, 60k is about as long as you can expect a damper to last. Being able to compress the shock is definitely not an indication that they are not working or blown. If they were leaking that would indicate a problem. Otherwise they basically need to be taken apart and inspected or run on a dyno to really determine how they compares to new, unless they are to the point where you can bounce the car up and down by hand.

Archived