LegacyGT.com

Future project hta fp green

So basically im just planning for the future here but I have my mind set on the hta fp green for my 5eat. I figured I could get away with stock block at first and in the future build it. For tranny I was going to do tranny cooler and VB mod and see how it holds then I would probably eventually do a full tranny build. I figured that I would be putting out around somewhere in the range of 370-400 whp on pump +meth. Do you guys think my numbers are right since there are very few running this turbo on manual and this might be one of the first on the 5eat. Any input, thoughts, ideas would be appreciated(Grocery getter I know your running this). I want this to still be my dd but still tons o fun.

-Chris

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i believe i read that the normal fp green was recommended over the hta version..

~

what is the logic of this? is there an issue with the HTA wheel?

--------------------------------

As far as your tranny holding up, you should be fine with this setup as long as you don't do anything outstandingly stupid. Your engine could even hold up just fine if it actually gets tuned right. Infamous knows how to tune this to not melt the pistons. Anyone else is hit or miss, why risk it if you're not absolutely sure.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I dont think so. I was going to get the hta because it makes more power and since i have alot of drivetrain loss auto/awd I can use as much as I could get. Any other thoughts about this project!

Infamous what do you think this turbo would make to the wheels on 5eat. If it managed to make more than 400whp then I would just make sure the tune is conservative so not to blow the motor or tranny. Frkkevin is runing just about those #'s with a stock block and just a vb and tranny cooler. Like I said eventually I would plan to build both my motor and tranny but I believe they should hold together at those number temporaily!

Thanks jim you make my goals so much easier :). But in all seriousness i figured if I ran just a vb and a tranny cooler I would get away with it for some time. Like I said frkkevin has been running that power for some time with no problems. Maybe im just dreaming and have put to much hope behind the 5eat. I guess I will have to check the funds and try to see whats going on. Gosh it sucks being a college student and trying to modify cars at the same time!

your tranny will not handle the power unless it is built first.

This is unfortunately 100% the truth. I know a guy locally that put a GT30R on with all the engine supporting mods and torched the torque converter in under a month. :(

Infamous what do you think this turbo would make to the wheels on 5eat. If it managed to make more than 400whp then I would just make sure the tune is conservative so not to blow the motor or tranny. Frkkevin is runing just about those #'s with a stock block and just a vb and tranny cooler. Like I said eventually I would plan to build both my motor and tranny but I believe they should hold together at those number temporaily!

The HTA Green is a 57 lb/min turbo, it is quite big an easily capable of 400+whp on meth and even a 5eat. This turbo size wise is bigger than a 30r and smaller than a 35r. I would expect power to be somewhere between 420-440whp pushing it on meth.

Thanks guys I doubt I will be able to afford the entire tranny upgrade and the turbo upgrade so I will probably settle for a 20g. I do understand exactly where your coming from and believe it. I'm just wondering how in the hell is a frrkevin's car holding together?

5eats blowing up is all a case by case basis. Some go soon with very little abuse/power, some take the abuse for a long time with alot of power, and still keep ticking. Chances are the 5eat you have is somewhere inbetween those 2 extremes. I have big power aspirations too, but fact of the matter is we have auto trannies that are sensitive to abuse and added power. If your going big you could be going home with somebody else. But i'd really like to see this turbo in action on a 5eat. You'd have bragging rights for a while.

"I for one do not doubt you, dude. Your car is fast and an internet legend." -Gire

I have heard of a couple people running really big turbos on a VB-modded 5eat without tranny failure, but yes, it has failed for plenty of people.

Note: the built IPT tranny is guaranteed by them, which should give you a lot of confidence when you're ready. Just don't exceed the power level they stipulate.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I do understand this but unless you want to give me 5 grand for the tranny it probably ain't happening :lol:. I think I may just go 20g and call it a day until I get out of college. I feel that the 20g should be safe enough with vb mod and tranny cooler. Lets see if that can satisfy me :)!

An HTA FP Green on meth is more then enough to kill your 5eat and motor. As long as you are alright knowing that, go for it.

I wish the regular FP Green was still available. Right in the sweet spot of the 2.5T motor, 350whp with a good tune :)

Do you have any tuning experiences/comparisons of the OG green vs. the HTA?

These big turbos seem to be a little bit easier on the auto trannys. They make just a bit more peak torque than what the stock turbo is capable of. The difference is they make it beyond the stall speed of the torque converter.

I wish the regular FP Green was still available.

Do you have any tuning experiences/comparisons of the OG green vs. the HTA?

Haven't tune a HTA Green yet, however I do know the 3" variant's spool is comparable to a FP Red.

There's no drawback to the HTA Green compared to the old version. It spools better *and* has more top end.

They did remove the anti-surge ports for whatever reason. My Green (brand new, in the box for like 9 months, will install shortly) has the ports and I hope they don't cost me any power.

There's no drawback to the HTA Green compared to the old version. It spools better *and* has more top end.

They did remove the anti-surge ports for whatever reason.

They removed the ports (3" variant) because it added an significant amount of lag. ;)

Archived