LegacyGT.com

Should I get a tune or Ap or download stage 2 map?

phesa1005

I'm currently stage 2 catless downpipe,upipe,avotmic,bov,cobbintake,custom y-pipe without a time. And it only boosting around 11.5 cuz Polly not tune. My car lags end of third gear and I want to go get it fix. But deciding if the AP will help or just get it tune. My car still have warranty from the dealership. Or can I just download the stage 2 map and make sure I keep my stock maps. I need help and I'm stuck at this point. I want the best way and don't want to be wasting my money

• Moderators

you're not stock, so you need a tune. 11.5 psi is horrible for boost, sounds like you have a leak--or several. AVO TMIC / intake / custom y should all add up to you getting a custom tune. BOV? That's silly.

You're car is likely running about as bad as it can run right now. Best of luck.

**Ditch the BOV (assuming it's VTA) and get a custom tune.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I'm currently stage 2 catless downpipe,upipe,avotmic,bov,cobbintake,custom y-pipe without a time. And it only boosting around 11.5 cuz Polly not tune. My car lags end of third gear and I want to go get it fix. But deciding if the AP will help or just get it tune. My car still have warranty from the dealership. Or can I just download the stage 2 map and make sure I keep my stock maps. I need help and I'm stuck at this point. I want the best way and don't want to be wasting my money

Your car might have a warranty, but if your engine blows because of all of the mods you have on it, you're SOL. Get a tune ASAP. Having the tune affect your warranty is the least of what you should be worried about. You have enough local tuners. Schedule a tune with someone, such as Infamous. Talk to Mike (m spank) to schedule it.

IMO, the only reason for an Accessport past Stg1 is if you plan on going to E85, and want the easiest method to switch between a 91/93Gas map and the E85 map. Otherwise, skip the AP.

AP offers tuning functions and capabilities unavailable in opensource. Plenty of reasons to go AP over opensource. If you want aftermarket ECM capabilities in your OEM ECM then its EcuTek. Opensource is the least "powerful" tuning software.

The guy just needs to get a freaking tune. Again, enough local tuners around he can have it tuned. With his mods either os or ap is fine. He just needs it done

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

AP offers tuning functions and capabilities unavailable in opensource. Plenty of reasons to go AP over opensource. If you want aftermarket ECM capabilities in your OEM ECM then its EcuTek. Opensource is the least "powerful" tuning software.

Understood, you can use Access Race Tuner software to tune real time in the car and whatnot. But, if the guy goes with an AP e tune, does that benefit him? Or if he does get a road tune, will having an AP benefit him? It may make it easier on the tuner, but does that result in a less expensive tune? Do the extra features result anyway in a better tune? My understanding on all that is no.

I am tuned via AP, but don't think it's necessary.

• Moderators

I asked my tuner of there was any reason for me to go with an AP over open source and he said it didn't matter one way or the other, the tune would be the same.

YMMV. My advice is to speak to your tuner. If they are more comfortable with one tuning platform or another you are best to listen or search for a new tuner.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

IMO, the only reason for an Accessport past Stg1 is if you plan on going to E85, and want the easiest method to switch between a 91/93Gas map and the E85 map. Otherwise, skip the AP.

Understood, you can use Access Race Tuner software to tune real time in the car and whatnot. But, if the guy goes with an AP e tune, does that benefit him? Or if he does get a road tune, will having an AP benefit him? It may make it easier on the tuner, but does that result in a less expensive tune? Do the extra features result anyway in a better tune? My understanding on all that is no.

I am tuned via AP, but don't think it's necessary.

You are missing the point. Your made a very specific comment that the AP is only useful past Stage 1 for switching maps.

No the tune will not be "better" based on the software used. But... depending on the set up and the goals the AP or EcuTek could be REQUIRED for a Stage3 tune. For one you can not tune VE (speed density in Cobb lingo) via opensource. You can also not "mask" the tune via opensource or Cobb (only EcuTek can do that).

The point is, opensource is the least powerful. It gives you the least options to properly tune the car. If you have any plans of going stage3 or want to ditch the MAF set up or want to mask your tune or are going to be tracking the car and have specific tuning requirements than you must go Cobb or EcuTek.

All three can be used to flash for fuel changes. AP is easiest to log and flash due to its compact size and no requirement for a laptop (yes Tactrix 2.0 can log to a memory card, but that requires a more advanced set up for the end user than just using an AP). Also, AP and EcuTek have support and are constantly working to upgrade their features and improve the firmware. Opensource does not (you get what you pay for).

It does not work well. There is no current way to adjust AFR for atmospheric changes. Sampling is too slow. List of "issues" goes on and on. It is free.

Look at it like a Microsoft product. Sure you can get another operating system for less, but does it work as well? Does it have the same level of support? Is it constantly upgraded and patched?

OS works. It is "here to stay". It is not always the best and there is much more to it than "the only reason for an Accessport past Stg1 is if you plan on going to E85, and want the easiest method to switch between a 91/93Gas map and the E85 map."

Best recommendation is: ask your tuner.

• 2 weeks later...
what would the infamous crew recommend for someone like me with a stock 05 GT it has a new short block and rebuilt heads I just want the car to run the best I can for now. later on I may do a pipe down pipe and turbo but that's probably the farthest I would ever go with this car. Would a etune or open source be better or can I do what I need with access port

Stock tune will work. AP OTS or custom stage1 will work. Opensource stage 1 will work. EcuTek will work. None of the options offers more than the other for your set up. What ever you feel most comfortable with. What ever fits your budget. What ever your tuner likes to use (if you decide to tune it).

I have been told on here that the factory map includes flaws and that's why these motors are prone to bad valves and ringlands. What is your best advice to make sure my motor is as healthy as possible for the longhaul

Incorrect.

Ringlands are weak no mater what. Regardless of tune. Issue is in the casting and the materials used. Stock tune is knock free enough for the pistons to handle it.

Timing compensations built into the stock tune (they are there for a very good reason) were ignored by early tuners. This caused motors to blow (valves to be burnt due to excessive temps). At stock power levels the Subaru built in compensations are safe. When turning up the boost and timing, they need to be removed. Compensations are there because the motor has 1 knock sensor. Knock sensor is located closest to cylinder #4. Compensations are built in because any knock occurance should be heard by the sensor in #4 first. Then the ECM can retard 1,2,and 3 in an attempt to stop the knock ocurance from happening in those cylinders too.

Best way to preserve the health of your motor... dont drive the car.

I have customers with 200k on stock motor, stock turbo, stock trans. I have customers that blow the motor in under 15k (fresh off the lot).

Like any car, there are strong motors and weaker ones. If you love the cars, you put the money into a rebuild. If you want to play, you have to be prepared to pay.

I hesitate to say a satge1 map is safer than an OEM map. Inherently, installing a stage1 map means you will be driving the car harder. This will add wear and undue stress on top of the added timing and boost the tune gives. No one has ever done a truly controlled experiment to record the exact value of added stress from a stage1 tune (or any tune for that matter).

If it were my car, I would tune it. But... I also bring brand new cars home and tear them completely down to piles of nuts and bolts the same day. I have a few crates in the garage containing $5k+ motors that made it 1 tank of gas too (surprisingly none are Subies).

Archived