LegacyGT.com

How to replace the Fuel Filter? Help

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

So do we replace it or not?

Has anybody replaced the fuel filter and is there one and where?

It does say to replace it every 60K in my manual.

Is this just a general rule on most cars but not ours?

If so then what in the heck filters our fuel if it's never to be replaced???

This does not make sense to me all cars have fuel filters...

Thanks,

Scott

Where did you buy it?

Exactly. While recently Subaru started selling individual parts for fuel pump assembly (in MY05-MY06 only whole assembly was sold) the filter sock is not available separately - comes with the fuel pump itself.

Crazy so unless we are replacing the entire fule pump maybe as an upgrade only then would a fuel filter be replaced? Do the dealers just tell us to let it ride until the pum p fails of the filter becomes clogged as a sign as when to replace? I did notice in the online

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
no need to service it. the guys with 10,000 + posts said so too

Never trust anyone particularly people with 10000+ posts and rao regardless of number of posts :lol:;)

So... I stand corrected. The sock is not sold separately... but the filter is! The filter is actually part of the pump assembly cylinder.

The part # is 42072AG16A. Part code 42072A on the attached diagram.

So yes there is a filter, is available separately and can be replaced (however pita it is). :spin:

pump.thumb.jpg.487f9dccb0eda8f16b2257b1dc22cd66.jpg

Unless you are buying gas from a unknown station in bumblef*ck redneck town, you probably never need a fuel filter.

Gas is distributed and monitored so well now, the only place where sediment or dirt can come from is the bottom of a poorly maintained tank at the filling station.

I wouldn't bother with replacing filters unless you are having fueling issues.... but injectors or the pump itself will probably cause issues way before you clog a filter.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Never trust anyone particularly people with 10000+ posts and rao regardless of number of posts :lol:;)

So... I stand corrected. The sock is not sold separately... but the filter is! The filter is actually part of the pump assembly cylinder.

Why thank you unclemat. We knew you'd get it right eventually 10,000+ posts outta count for something.

Unless you are buying gas from a unknown station in bumblef*ck redneck town, you probably never need a fuel filter.

Unfortunately theres more gas stations like this in VA then you'd think. I try to avoid shady gas stations like the plague, but once in a while when you're really low and on the interstate you gotta take what you can get. However, makes sense that if there WAS sediment or dirt or whatever in the gas that youd see a problem with your injectors before your fuel filter.

Guess I'm fine for now.

The part # is 42072AG16A. Part code 42072A on the attached diagram.

So yes there is a filter, is available separately and can be replaced (however pita it is). :spin:

Funny but that page does not show the filter as a separate part. There is NO service interval on the fuel filter.

You might want to look into the part number for the fuel pump controller ;)

Funny but that page does not show the filter as a separate part. There is NO service interval on the fuel filter.

You might want to look into the part number for the fuel pump controller ;)

The part is named by Subarufast as "fuel filter". There might be no service interval, doesn't change the fact it's a fuel filter... and I guess it can get clogged under right circumstances.

As for the fuel pump controller. Yes, I found it, thank you.

• 4 years later...

We need to change it..

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/21992-h6-fuel-filter-change-after-60k-unnecessary-2.html

Subaru Australia recently released Fuel Filter kits for models that you previously had to buy the entire pump just to replace the filter.

For 04 - 09 (B13=BL/BP) 4 cyl and 6 cyl (same filter, different pumps), part numbers are;

* Filter - 42072AG140

* O-Ring - 42025AG070 x 3

* O-Ring - 42025AG080

• 8 months later...

Bumping this as I wanted to mention it appears to be some type of fiberous material.

BTW, does anyone know what the material is? Reference link with pictures.

It probably shouldn't matter about using this with E85, but I wanted to mention it regardless so it might show up in a search for some people.

Also, this is the housing that you normally will modify if you are installing the Walbro or other non-drop-in type fuel pump. So, if for example you are thinking about installing the Walbro F90000267 - (E85 compatible) 450 LPH fuel pump, you can get this new fuel filter with the top housing and pre-modify the housing before you actually take out the fuel pump canister to do the fuel pump change.

Has anyone done just that?

Archived