LegacyGT.com

pads & rotors

When should you replace pads and rotors? I'm sure it depends on wear&tear but I am at 50k miles and a local shop told me the rears need to go because they are rusty. Quoted me $370,is this legit? Complete noob btw

Thanks

Technically, you don't need to replace the rear brake pads until they are down to 1.5mm of pad material. Your solid rear brake rotors are good until they are worn down to 8.5mm.

Have you ever had your front pads and rotors replaced? Usually those need to be done before the rears. Like you said, brake life will vary a lot depending on how you drive, where you drive, brake pad material, etc. Since your legacy has an automatic transmission, having to have your brakes done at 50k is very possible, if you're still running the original pads and rotors. But I'm suspicious that they said your rears need to be replaced because they're rusty, you don't replace rotors because they get rusty.

In my opinion the price is a little high, especially if it's an independent shop and not a dealership. I honestly think a subaru dealership might charge around the same price and I'd like to think that the OEM pads and rotors are better quality than whatever cheap stuff the independent shop might use.

Well, I did my own rear brakes last summer. Rear OEM rotors and pads costed me $220 from Pape Subaru. Look around for another person- someone might be willing to do the labor for cheaper.

370 just for the REAR pads and rotors? Is that how im reading that?

That looks about spot on for a shop to install with parts (rear only).

You can get front and rear parts only to go with high performance stuff for just over $400...

Thanks for the advice. I actually have to go to the dealership next weekend (got a recall letter in the mail for brake lines) so I will get their thoughts on the situation .

If they do indeed need to be changed and the dealership can do it cheaper (which I doubt) , I will get it done

I think there is a forum below that might have some good ideas about brakes.

Where do you live ? May be one of can tell you who to go to.

Most of us buy are brakes from "m sprank" PM him or contact Mike at http://www.AZPinstalls.com

Also lots use Centric rotor's and Hawk pads.

I like Hawk ceramic pads and the DBA 4000 slotted rotors on my wagon

My Spec B has Hawk HPS pads on the front and ceramic's n the back. The HPS's put out a lot of dust for a street car. I'll do ceramic's next time.

Lot's of time stock rotors and pads wear funny and not hit the rotor completely over time. I just replaced the front brakes on the GF's Ford Escape the other night, 38,000 miles on it. the inside of the one of the rotors was only being hit by the pad on about 70% of the surface. I have seen that a lot of the years.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

As far as pads are concerned, Autozone had a deal if you buy your brake pads (stock replacements) from them, you can replace them for free for life. As soon as you get noise, you just go buy another pair of pads, swap old for new, bring in the old ones and you get a refund as long as they're not completely worn down. Don't even need a receipt if they have your # on file. I don't know if they do this with rotors however. Just for future reference.

As far as pads are concerned, Autozone had a deal if you buy your brake pads (stock replacements) from them, you can replace them for free for life. As soon as you get noise, you just go buy another pair of pads, swap old for new, bring in the old ones and you get a refund as long as they're not completely worn down. Don't even need a receipt if they have your # on file. I don't know if they do this with rotors however. Just for future reference.

Great deal!

Let us know how that works out for you.

Some of us have learned these cars are senitive to brake pads. If you don't have a good pad that will shed the dust, the dust builds up on the rotor's and the brakes begin to shimmy when you apply them at speed.

That's why we use Hawk pads that we buy from either m sprank at http://www.infamousperformance.net or Mike at http://www.AZPinstalls.com

Guy's have had good luck with Centric pads too I believe.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Let us know how that works out for you.

Some of us have learned these cars are senitive to brake pads. If you don't have a good pad that will shed the dust, the dust builds up on the rotor's and the brakes begin to shimmy when you apply them at speed.

That's why we use Hawk pads that we buy from either m sprank at www.infamousperformance.net or Mike at www.AZPinstalls.com

Guy's have had good luck with Centric pads too I believe.

So far they're fine. I've only had them for about 8k though. At the time I really needed new pads, had a shallow wallet, and they were inexpensive and right in front of me. I'm trying to save up to upgrade rotors, pads, and lines, not to mention a rock for my gf, so these worked just fine for me at the time. I personally don't plan on using this deal as I do plan on using upgraded pads in the future. However only buying break pads once for the remaining life of your car seemed like a pretty sweet deal for those just fine with standard pad replacements.

Just trying to give OP another option.

Hawks are good at shedding dust for sure. They're on my gf's WRX and seems we always have to clean the wheels before we need to wash the car again :lol:

So far they're fine. I've only had them for about 8k though. At the time I really needed new pads, had a shallow wallet, and they were inexpensive and right in front of me. I'm trying to save up to upgrade rotors, pads, and lines, not to mention a rock for my gf, so these worked just fine for me at the time. I personally don't plan on using this deal as I do plan on using upgraded pads in the future. However only buying break pads once for the remaining life of your car seemed like a pretty sweet deal for those just fine with standard pad replacements.

Just trying to give OP another option.

Hawks are good at shedding dust for sure. They're on my gf's WRX and seems we always have to clean the wheels before we need to wash the car again :lol:

Back in the early years on my 05 even the good Bendix pads from Advance auto parts would cause the brake shimmy. Had the rotor's resurfaced, the issue came back.

Since the Hawks never had the issue again. Hawk ceramic's are great for a DD too.

Archived