LegacyGT.com

Excessive oil consumption??

My baby LGT has 70,000 miles and has been consuming about a quart of oil every tank of gas. Not sure what is going on....the dealership said it was my piston rings and they needed replaced, but I have also heard that it is my turbo that is the problem...? Can anyone help me solve this crisis? I am spending way too much money on oil and I am using 10-40 because I consume so much..:confused:

You need to do some investigating as it could be either of those you mentioned or something else entirely.

Have you had a leak down test? Have you pulled the intercooler to see if it's got oil in it?

There are a number of threads on oil consumption here. You could read those for more ideas.

Cheers!

Just hang out here for few day's they will pop up.

I'm using a qt every 700 - 1000 miles or more, the car runs great, I just keep checking and top it off as needed.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 5 months later...
I seem to be having a very similar issue. Did you perform a leakdown test? What was causing your oil consumption>?

I did not. I figured why spend the money, I knew the tmic was dry so it was internal engine. So I just bought a new EJ257 short block and had my heads rebuilt.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived