LegacyGT.com

New CA Smog OBDII Info Thread

Diavolo

How many Cali owners know that if their car is registered in a non-smog county, they do not need to do this every 2 years?

I think it's more the case that we don't know how to register our cars there when we live in a smog-county...

My thinking is that you have to have your car smogged in the county you live in, can anyone confirm this?

I have heard rumors there is a guy local to me that has "periodic equipment malfuncions that make the smog tests pass."

I think it's more the case that we don't know how to register our cars there when we live in a smog-county...

Yeah its a little harder than you think to prove residence in those counties, and live somewhere else.

My thinking is that you have to have your car smogged in the county you live in, can anyone confirm this?

I have heard rumors there is a guy local to me that has "periodic equipment malfuncions that make the smog tests pass."

If that is true it's new to me. I used to have cars smogged in South California while they were registered in Northern California.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Yeah its a little harder than you think to prove residence in those counties, and live somewhere else.

If that is true it's new to me. I used to have cars smogged in South California while they were registered in Northern California.

I just recently moved back to CA after living in Ohio for 5+ years. I went to the DMV and gave them an address that I have no legal ties to(but I can get mail there). Then I gave them my mailing address which is a UPS store 120 miles from the other address, which is the address they put on my license. I did not have to show proof that either of these addresses were mine. They then gave me my old license number. When I bought my FXT in April, I put the non-smog county address on the pink slip, but I used the DMV down the street from my mailing address in a smog county.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

yeah, but who wants to live there :lol:

Never said I lived there. Most of my driving is done in counties that do indeed have smog checks.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

The DMV branches in these (smog test-less) counties are familiar with people trying to register their vehicle there just for the benefit.

It looks suspicious if you want to register a car to a PO Box there and not change your physical address or drivers license address.

They don't make it easy.

The DMV branches in these (smog test-less) counties are familiar with people trying to register their vehicle there just for the benefit.

It looks suspicious if you want to register a car to a PO Box there and not change your physical address or drivers license address.

They don't make it easy.

I do all of my DMV in a smog county, so they don't even question when it doesn't come up. I think the new laws of no smog for the first 6 years and no smog for transfers of 4 model year old or less have made not having a smog not as suspicous.

• 3 weeks later...
Passed last week!

Visible parts left on;

Headers

3 port ebcs

TMIC

had to swap out the dp, cbe, and cai back to stock parts. No sniffer was done, was in and out in 15 mins!

Did you have a catted aftermarket DP?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Failing means you need to fix it and retest. $$$ Oh and it'll go in the car's record. Someone had the Hogzaust and failed, and the failed test showed up when they were selling the car.

The most obvious giveaway when they do the visual inspection is they look for polish stainless pipes.

now that's BS, staying on the record yes, but failing for hogzaust?

they can't do anything about the exhaust system after the cat

I can have straight pipe after the cat and they can't fail me

If the exhaust leak is big enough and they cannot get a stable enough flow reading at the tail pipe they can fail it for an exhaust leak.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

failed for catted DP but not headers?!

dafuq

Catalytic converters have to be replaced 1 for 1, and only then, with parts approved by the California Air Resource Board (carb).

Most aftermarket downpipes at best have one cat in them, and its not a CARB approved cat. So it fails in California on visual even if it might pass the sniffer.

Its not an approved aftermarket cat, and it should have 2 in the DP.

The header won't past visual either, but they apparently went unnoticed.