LegacyGT.com

Anyone have slight oil smell after running for 30+ minutes?

Did you recently have an oil change? It's possible some could have missed the fill tube and dripped down, or there could be some that splashed onto the heat shields on the bottom and as the car heats up, smell.

After you check the items that have been suggested, check under the car, in and around the engine bay too. Use a good flashlight, and see if anything is leaking. I HIGHLY doubt anything is, but I say this as my old 2015 Legacy 2.5i leaked at the cam cover at about 5k miles. It leaked onto the exhaust manifold and would create that burnt oil smell. Keep us posted.

If you have a 2.5 check around the oil filter too. May be they didn't put that on right.

Wow Thank you guys so much. I did check all those things, I haven’t had a oil change yet only 2500 miles so far. It’s a 3.6 and I actually brought back to dealership and they checked it up and down according to service advisor/tech They said it’s probably from the cleaning products they use under the hood? Does really smell a lot like an oil type smell and Yes The smell is in cabin. So I’m at a loss not sure what else to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our Crosstrek has 1,400 miles and my Legacy has 600, and both smell identical after we pull into the garage. It's a good smell to me, just like hot plastic or whatever, not at all like burnt oil. And no, that smell doesn't enter the cabin. Your cabin should just smell like a new car, period.

Archived