LegacyGT.com

DIY Home Depot mud flaps

Here's a little DIY on home depot flaps. I haven't put them on the car yet but I have them cut and ready to go. I held them in place on the car and they look good to me and pretty close to rally armor style just way cheaper.

28 qt trash can. 4.95 at home depot.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31uyv1atGSL._SY300_.jpg

I made a stencil just from an old piece of cardboard in the garage. I just kept trimming a little at a time until I had the look I was shooting for. I will post measurements tonight. I forgot to write them down when I was working on everything

CAM00011.jpg

I cut out a big section of the side of the can on this one before I cut it out. but use the cardboard and a stencil and then cut the piece out wider then where your lines are

CAM00013.jpg

Here is the flap with the lines drawn on and it already cut out. I used a pair of kitchen scissors to cut them out more precisely.

CAM00014.jpg

Here is the basic shape once you have everything cut out. The line along the bottom is actually straighter then it looks.

CAM00015.jpg

I also slightly rounded the edges on the bottoms of all 4 to give it a nice finished look. Pretty simple really just took an hour or so to get all the measurements made and everything cut.

CAM00016.jpg

I will add to this page once the snow melts and I can get them installed with pictures on how I mounted them and how they look on the car. Feel free to ask any questions as well.

Might work fine just for aesthetics, but wouldn't it fall apart if it were to get pummeled with rocks/debris?

I don't know yet. I guess time will tell. But it isn't just for rocks and stuff like that either. I have no flaps at all right now and anytime it rains or snows mud and dirt get thrown all over the sides of the car. But I like the look too.

While I support DIYs I think these might shatter with time, or even when your drill them in. The plastic is quite thin and brittle and not very pliable in colder temps, so I'm curious as to how this will turn out.

While I support DIYs I think these might shatter with time, or even when your drill them in. The plastic is quite thin and brittle and not very pliable in colder temps, so I'm curious as to how this will turn out.

These aren't going to shatter if I drill them. I'm not sure what kind of trash can you are thinking about but this plastic is very similar to rally armor ones. The WRX guys have been doing this for years with no issues that I'm aware of. And even if they do break then i'm only out 10 bucks. No big deal.

the universal rally armor flaps are like $25 shipped if these end up breaking

Thanks. If these don't last I'll probably just order a set of those and call it good.

I'm not sure what kind of trash can you are thinking about but this plastic is very similar to rally armor ones.

They're not. The RA and similar mudflaps are actually urethane...so it's more similar to the flexible rubber intake hoses.

They're not. The RA and similar mudflaps are actually urethane...so it's more similar to the flexible rubber intake hoses.

Either way, this isn't brittle. And I would rather build then buy parts whenever I can.

• 1 month later...
I'm curious to see how these hold up in the long term. The only reason I personally wouldn't want them is because they don't REALLY solve the problem I had with the stock flaps. These are definitely more flexible than those, but I still think if they get bent back by something that just barely clears the body, they will be permanently deformed to some degree. That's what I hated about the stock flaps - they effectively reduced your ground clearance unless you didn't care about them getting all screwed up, and it's why I love my RallyArmor flaps that just flop over obstacles.

I'm curious to see how these hold up in the long term. The only reason I personally wouldn't want them is because they don't REALLY solve the problem I had with the stock flaps. These are definitely more flexible than those, but I still think if they get bent back by something that just barely clears the body, they will be permanently deformed to some degree. That's what I hated about the stock flaps - they effectively reduced your ground clearance unless you didn't care about them getting all screwed up, and it's why I love my RallyArmor flaps that just flop over obstacles.

These seems to bend out of the way just fine so far. I haven't bent them in half but I have drug them on a few driveways already and they bounced right back. We will see how it goes in the long term of things.

Archived