LegacyGT.com

Problem With Carpeted Floor Mat Moving

Hey all,

I did a search and didn't really find anything on the topic.

Has anyone been having trouble with the drivers side carpeted floor mat moving on them? It seems every other time I get in the car I have to reach down and pull the front end of the mat over to the right towards the gas pedal. I do still have the carpet hook. I took out the mat the other day and found 20 or 30 of the rubber spikes had broken off. Not sure if the spikes falling off have anything to do with it because it had been happening before I noticed them, I vaccuum regularly. Any way to fix or prevent this from happening???

Mine has done it since new 115,000 mile ago. You'll learn to check it every now and then and just pull it back.

I got over it years ago. Now the key fab and the hair trigger locking is a different issue, I still hate it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I literally "screwed" the mat down in a rage one night last year with a washer. Works perfect now. I also can lift the mat to vaccuum. My hooky thingy broke off right after warranty. I think I used a JDM screw and washer from japanparts.com , but you might get away with something from the "junk drawer" or garage. :)

i thought this would be a good thread to mention this on. Toyota is having a recall on their 2010 Camry's as their floormat has trouble remaining in place and actually was deemed the cause of some guys accident, as he couldnt properly brake with the bunched up carpet. Now toyota is supposedly asking for drivers to bring in their 2010 camrys so they can cut part of the carpet to avoid this problem. My grandma drives a 2010 camry, so i got the inside scoop.

+1 for weathertechs....expensive, but well made rubber floormats are a huge convenience. i had some in my tacoma, we have some in our highlander. they protect the carpet wonderfully and look cool too.

I literally "screwed" the mat down in a rage one night last year with a washer. Works perfect now. I also can lift the mat to vaccuum. My hooky thingy broke off right after warranty. I think I used a JDM screw and washer from japanparts.com , but you might get away with something from the "junk drawer" or garage. :)

I've considered doing this myself. How long do the screws need to be? Any danger of hitting something under the floorboard with the screw?

I REALLY like the fitted plastic form mats I got from Weather Tech. They catch and hold all the dirt, water, snow, etc. I hardly ever have to vacuum the floor. I think about $100 for the fronts. Expensive but worth it to me

+1 One of my first mods.

Guest PeteAWD
I have 96k on my vehicle and have had no problems with this, as long as the mats are fastened to the hook affixed to the carpet floor. ??

I've had my car for a little over 2 weeks. Bought it used with less than 16k miles. It's a 2008 2.5 SE with 5 speed manual. I had an issue when I got into my car and pushed in the clutch. The mat moved and was caught on the clutch pedal.

I would be happy to get others that are having this problem together and make Subaru fix this problem. I can see this being a safety issue and do not want to jeopardize my safety or others. It is a bad design and they should have to remedy it. Sorry I'm complaining since this is only my second post. I love my new car. It's the best I've ever owned, but this problem is a safety concern.

I have decided to purchase a set of Weathertech All-Season front mats!:spin::spin::spin:

FYI if they're the fitted, "custom" ones, prepare for a wait. They make those suckers from scratch when they're ordered, took about two weeks for them to ship. Well worth it though.

Yes......had this problem with my "super special spec b " mats right from the showroom.....I called SOA and the rep told me I wasn't having a problem ! I said " YES I AM having a problem----they shift all the way to the left and cover half of the dead pedal ". SOA-----"No...the mat has a hook to prevent that from happening". Me----"but the mat just spins on that hook- why aren't there TWO hooks like on my Maxima?". SOA---"because one hook does the job". Me----" NO IT DOESN'T !!!! I'M LOOKING AT IT RIGHT NOW!!!!". SOA----" have you compared your mats to the others in the showroom.....maybe you have the wrong mats". Me----"there are no other spec b's in the showroom". SOA---"there's nothing we can do". Nice.
Do it right the first time.........or don't bother doing it at all.

Yo SCSpecB you think weathertech can pay us a commission on this? Hahah...but truthfully they are awesome. I am speaking of the custom fitted mats. I think they sell some others but the Digital Fit liners are the good ones. And just a FYI for anyone purchasing - be careful when you take the mats out and put back in...they are custom fit with tight clearance and they WILL HOLD GAS PEDAL down if you're not careful.

• 2 years later...
I have that problem with the stock carpet, but I got the OEM rubber mats, and they are stiff enough that they don't realy move. They are great in the winter. I think they might even be cheaper than the weather tech, and it says Subaru on it so +10 HP right?

Wow back from the dead. At least someone knows how to use the search button.

My 09 hcame with Weathertech mat's they are great.

I still pull back the mat in my 05 every few day's. It's just like topping off the oil...every few day's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

When I bought my 05 LGT I had this same issue. Turns out my hook was missing. I think it was like $10 from the dealer, and sort of PITA to install under the carpet. But now, my mat is 100% secure.

I have that problem with the stock carpet, but I got the OEM rubber mats, and they are stiff enough that they don't realy move. They are great in the winter. I think they might even be cheaper than the weather tech, and it says Subaru on it so +10 HP right?

there is a hook for the drivers side mat

Archived