LegacyGT.com

Dremel recommendation.....

I'm looking to pick up a dremel for myself for xmas and have a few questions about them. Is the Dremel 300 enough for basic bolt cutting, grinding out a downpipe, etc (basic automotive use) or do i need to step up to the Dremel 4000?

Main reason is that for the price of the 4000 (~$140), i can get the 300 + a 150 piece acessory kit + a nice workstation that it clamps into [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-220-01-Rotary-Tool-Station/dp/B00068P48O/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_text_c]Amazon.com: Dremel 220-01 Rotary Tool Work Station: Home Improvement[/ame]

I have the 300. I've used it for tons of different projects. Unless you just plan on keeping it on the workstation, you should really get the flex shaft and/or right angle attachment, or else it's basically useless to use in tight spaces.

I've cut grade 8 suspension bolts with it. It didn't like it all that much, but it eventually got the job done.

For the price, you really can't go wrong.

I have the 300. I've used it for tons of different projects. Unless you just plan on keeping it on the workstation, you should really get the flex shaft and/or right angle attachment, or else it's basically useless to use in tight spaces.

I've cut grade 8 suspension bolts with it. It didn't like it all that much, but it eventually got the job done.

For the price, you really can't go wrong.

when you say "it didnt like it much" how long did it take to get through the bolt? like 20min of cutting for 5sec, off for 5 sec, etc etc?

my multi-speed bit the dust in one day. I'll stick with my old 2-speed; same power, but in my experience much tougher and easier to repair.

imo all dremels are ill-suited for many of the projects one would want to use them for, due primarily to plastic brush housings requiring a coffee break every few secs, but they are a necessary evil for any bench, being such a damn handy & versatile tool -- so just buy the least expensive max rpm unit you can.

when you say "it didnt like it much" how long did it take to get through the bolt? like 20min of cutting for 5sec, off for 5 sec, etc etc?

Using the reinforced cutting wheels, it probably took 10 mins.

Certainly doesn't slice and dice. I didn't want to burn the motor out, so I varied the speeds, instead of keeping it on the highest setting for a long period of time.

Archived