LegacyGT.com

Is it worth it???

IB6UB9

I currently drive a 95 Accord (auto), and it's about time to get a new car. I am extremely interested in buying a black 05 LGT when I sell my Accord. I want a manual, and I want to eventually get it to phase II. I love the way the LGT looks, and I love what I've read about the power, handling, etc....

BUT...I've been reading a lot in these forums to get a better feel for the LGT....and there are a few things I've read that concern me.

1. The difficulty of upgrading the HU. - I love my Kenwood Excelon w/ Sirius, and I would love to have it in my LGT.

2. The A/C is "weak". - I am always hot, so I like to keep the A/C cold.

3. The sunroof is slow and annoying. - I really like having a sunroof.lol

How annoying are these issues? If you knew about them earlier, would you have still bought your LGT? How far does the good outweigh the bad?

Thanks,

Jason

The HU issue is kinda a bummer. There are ways around it (cubby install) which plenty of people have done, but I don't want to lose some of the already limited storage space the car has. So my $1000+ worth of stereo equipment has just sat in my house since I got the car.

Luckily the stock system isn't half bad.

The A/C is fine. Now I haven't driven it in much hotter then low 100s, but I didn't have any issues. I suppose if you want to be an ice cube and lower it to 30 you might have a problem.

Honda windows are slow and annoying. My Accord's windows, my wife's Civic's windows, my wife's Civic' sunroof, all have had issue fairly early in their life (my Accord was an '01!) where the windows would raise at an absolutely horrible pace.

The Legacy sunroof by comparison is a rocket. Seriously, it's one of the fastest sunroofs I have seen. I think most people complain because to close it requires pushing the button twice, which is kinda annoying and time consuming, but no biggy.

(the issues you listed are indeed quite minor. You may want to look around at other things like rattles, wheel bearing, clutch wear, etc... which are all bigger issues known to affect legacies)

hello, i cannot speak to the HU issue, but the AC in my '05 works fine in 3 digit temps out west. the sunroof is a winner, also. my '95 altima gave me no problems with the sunroof over the course of 12 years and the sunroof in my leggy seems to be equally solid. hope this helps.
i'm way out of my depth . . .

I currently drive a 95 Accord (auto), and it's about time to get a new car. I am extremely interested in buying a black 05 LGT when I sell my Accord. I want a manual, and I want to eventually get it to phase II. I love the way the LGT looks, and I love what I've read about the power, handling, etc....

BUT...I've been reading a lot in these forums to get a better feel for the LGT....and there are a few things I've read that concern me.

1. The difficulty of upgrading the HU. - I love my Kenwood Excelon w/ Sirius, and I would love to have it in my LGT.

2. The A/C is "weak". - I am always hot, so I like to keep the A/C cold.

3. The sunroof is slow and annoying. - I really like having a sunroof.lol

How annoying are these issues? If you knew about them earlier, would you have still bought your LGT? How far does the good outweigh the bad?

Thanks,

Jason

1. you could add sattelite through picking up that radio station. that's about it for that year. the stock stereo is prett good actually. upgrade that speakers and add a stock sub and you've got a decent stereo already.

2. a.c. is weak? ac works great in my car (i live in houston). the "auto" air function kinda sucks...i leave it on manual.

3? sunroof is like any good sunroof. i've never noticed how slow or fast it goes. never timed it.

you lived in a 95 accord all these years and if you find an excellent shape 05 (like mine) it will be no comparison (i had an 93 accord). the lgt is a whole generation apart. comparing a 2005 accord to your car already is a big jump and the lgt is better than 05 accord.

My biggest gripe is how slow the windows roll up and down, I am used to it now but compared to any other car I have ever owned they are the slowest electric windows I have ever seen.

That's interesting because TavisS basically said the opposite... I doubt they are slower than my Accord's, though.

I have an '07 Spec B. (special edition GT). I can't speak to the HU, my stereo is stock, but that isn't a big thing for me..... A/C IS as I live in the low desert (Riverside Co. California), where we have at least 30 days of 100+ temps every summer, and 95+ isn't unusual between May and November. (If it tops 115 F, it's a pretty bad day :lol: ) My A/C works great and cools my car off in a matter of moments, even if it has been sitting in the sun all afternoon. And no, I don't have any tint (maybe this winter...)

My sunroof is great, at it has auto-open, and 2-position auto close. Much better than any other car I've owned. :wub:

Your step up from an Accord will be HUGE. Do it, friend, you won't regret it!

I have an '07 Spec B. (special edition GT). I can't speak to the HU, my stereo is stock, but that isn't a big thing for me..... A/C IS as I live in the low desert (Riverside Co. California), where we have at least 30 days of 100+ temps every summer, and 95+ isn't unusual between May and November. (If it tops 115 F, it's a pretty bad day :lol: ) My A/C works great and cools my car off in a matter of moments, even if it has been sitting in the sun all afternoon. And no, I don't have any tint (maybe this winter...)

My sunroof is great, at it has auto-open, and 2-position auto close. Much better than any other car I've owned. :wub:

Your step up from an Accord will be HUGE. Do it, friend, you won't regret it!

Well...you DO have a Spec B, so it should be nice...but I like your positive words :)

I just want to make the best decision possible when I buy a new car.

That's interesting because TavisS basically said the opposite... I doubt they are slower than my Accord's, though.

Keep in mind my I was talking specifically about the sunroof ;)

That said, I don't find the windows to be overly slow either. They aren't exactly quick but they don't bug me either. This would be something very easily checked in a test drive :cool:

OK, new concerns...

I just found out that the LGTs paint is cheap, the car rattles, the clutch wears down very quickly - and stinks, gas mileage isn't the best, and very little storage room - which I would lose some of if I do the cubby HU install.

Geez, I LOVE the way they look, and I LOVE the thought of having a sleeper, and I LOVE the handling potential...but why can't it be perfect?!?!? lol jk - sort of.

The ac seems fine in my 08.. Need to up the temp settings or its too cold after a bit (10 min or so) or you can set it to lowest setting at 65.. Thats coming from someone who is always hot.. I am in my boxers and have the fan going when its 70. I am yet to see a day above 100 with it so I don't know its true capabilities...

The ac seems fine in my 08.. Need to up the temp settings or its too cold after a bit (10 min or so) or you can set it to lowest setting at 65.. Thats coming from someone who is always hot.. I am in my boxers and have the fan going when its 70. I am yet to see a day above 100 with it so I don't know its true capabilities...

LOL you drive in your boxers? jk

OK, new concerns...

I just found out that the LGTs paint is cheap, the car rattles, the clutch wears down very quickly - and stinks, gas mileage isn't the best, and very little storage room - which I would lose some of if I do the cubby HU install.

Geez, I LOVE the way they look, and I LOVE the thought of having a sleeper, and I LOVE the handling potential...but why can't it be perfect?!?!? lol jk - sort of.

Pick ANY car....any....

Find the forum for that particular car....

And after reading several threads on "problems" you'll be able to convince yourself that the car sucks. Honda's and Toyotas included.

- The Mortgage Man

Well...you DO have a Spec B, so it should be nice...but I like your positive words :)

aside from the nav, seats, tranny, suspension, and wheels.... the specB and the GT are the same car. they have the same A/C, the same electric window motors, the same moonroof, ect. ect.

AND the SpecB has the Stock Navi, which means you cant even install your HU in teh cubby.

Pick ANY car....any....

Find the forum for that particular car....

And after reading several threads on "problems" you'll be able to convince yourself that the car sucks. Honda's and Toyotas included.

I know I know I know. I still want an LGT. The main thing that concerns me is the thin paint...I hate rocks!!! Maybe a spray on bra will help...?

Yes, the paint could be better on the Subies. My 02 WRX (and my wife's FXT) was (is) rock chipped on the leading edge of the hood. I got smart with my 05 STi and had and had a clear bra applied a day after I got the car and more importanltly, BEFORE any interstate driving. The car has just under 16K on it and not one rock chip thanks to the clear bra. The clear bra was about $450.00 installed and it doesn't detract (or add anything) to the car's looks.

When we finally pull the trigger on a Spec B I'm going to clear bra it immediately.

Also, don't forget the Spec has the cool silver pedals in it too!

Of course you could add those to standard GT for about 80 bucks...

I'm not implying that alone is worth the extra coin for the Spec, but nevertheless, the factory puts them there for you too. I do dig them pedals!

aside from the nav, seats, tranny, suspension, and wheels.... the specB and the GT are the same car. they have the same A/C, the same electric window motors, the same moonroof, ect. ect.

AND the SpecB has the Stock Navi, which means you cant even install your HU in teh cubby.

Yep, and you can get the navi on the non-SpecB as well. But this is rare.

I think the A/C works great. In about 95F temps outside side it puts cool air out in just a few seconds. We have a black 06 GT with leather and in the sun it can get hot. But when we keep the sunroof up and use a window shade on a hot day the car can be comfortable in under a minute. I like the Auto A/C, you just have to know how to use it and understand it takes the temp probe about 1 to 2 minutes to get a good reading. I really don’t understand everyone’s complaint about this. Read "Sticky: How The Dual-Zone Climate Control Works", it may seem dumb to read how to use A/C but it really is a good explanation.

I like the sunroofs tilt, it is enough to let out the heat but small enough to keep out leaves and other junk. My corolla would open over an inch and leaves always were getting stuck in their. As for slow, I don’t know seems fine to me. The stop in the middle is annoying but most cars have that now.

My biggest gripe is how slow the windows roll up and down, I am used to it now but compared to any other car I have ever owned they are the slowest electric windows I have ever seen.

My old grand prix had it beat. It was so slow when I was rolling all them up at the same time that I would actually have to rev the engine to give it a surge of juice to make it roll up a little quicker. IT was horrible. and that car didn't even have a sunroof so it was just 4 windows going up at once that made it that way.

Archived