LegacyGT.com

Blown Stock Speaker

Molal24

I believe that my front passenger speaker is blown. The thing rattles like crazy. You guys got any recommendations for good aftermarket ones? I think I'm going tomorrow and am going to replace both my fronts just to make the sound equal. I was thinking Sony?

Alpines aren't particularly efficient and benefit greatly from an amp. The stock HU is weak(~8w rms per channel), not many aftermarket speakers will work very well with that little power. Look for something very efficient.

These would probably be better than the alpineshttp://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-POLK-AUDIO-DB651-6-5-COAXIAL-CAR-SPEAKER-6-1-2_W0QQitemZ360191050983QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Speakers?hash=item53dd0f44e7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_3110wt_989

Which SPR models did you buy? Are you running the stock system? If so, did you really notice any difference in sound? Just curious...the stock system is a joke.

I got the SPR-17C.

Running them on the stock system. I'm very happy with the upgrade.

fonts how much better is the sound? If you were to grade the sound on a scale of 1-10, what would you give the stock and what would you give the alpines? BestBuy has them for 130 right now so I think I'm gonna bust out the wallet and go for them. Might as well change both fronts...

Nice. Looks like tomorrow in the AM I will be heading to Best Buy. I'll change the fronts for the time being and see if I like em. If so, the backs are the next ones on the list. And your walkthrough better help lol. If not, your ear will be ringing.

Nice. Looks like tomorrow in the AM I will be heading to Best Buy. I'll change the fronts for the time being and see if I like em. If so, the backs are the next ones on the list. And your walkthrough better help lol. If not, your ear will be ringing.

If you don't absolutely need them immediately you can do so much better buying online. IMO $130 is way too much to pay for those Alpines when for $5 more you can get these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PRECISION-POWER-PPI-356CS-6-5-CAR-COMPONENT-SPEAKERS_W0QQitemZ300351080942QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Speakers?hash=item45ee51c9ee&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_4422wt_1167

What did you end up doing????

Results???

I agree the stock speakers are garbage. You may have a blown speaker or it can be a vibration from the door. I found that the front lip of the door pocket next to the speaker will vibrate and cause a rattle sound in my 08. The plastic is pretty flimsy in that area. Right now I have a divider (black piece of wood) stuck in the pocket to stiffen the lip and prevent the rattle. I plan on making a more aesthetically pleasing divider to dampen the vibration once I finish my grill. The door vibration only shows up at certain frequencies so if your rattle is constant I would guess speakers. Any loss in volume or frequency range would also confirm a blown speaker. There is nothing more annoying than a rattle when you are trying to rock.

• 2 weeks later...
Finally picked up the speakers today after 3 trips to Best Buy. I guess the first time I ordered them, when they came in one of the employees bought them for themselves. They ended up re-ordering them for me and giving me a $25 gift card. When the second ones came in, it was the wrong frickin' speakers. Another $25 gift card. So finally, I have the speakers and got a solid $50 off... :) Now I just can't install them till next week because of my damn Biochem and Genetics exams tomorrow and Monday.... :(

Archived