LegacyGT.com

6 speed envy...trade LGT for Spec.b?

For those of you who went from an LGT to a spec.b was it worth it? Everyone seems to rave about the 6-speed transmission and the final gear ratio on the highway. Or would it be worth just upgrading the transmission to the 6 speed?

I know the spec.b also comes with additional bonuses like the suspension. I'd love to hear from those that have made the jump or done the transmission swap.

I would say it depends on the history and condition of the LGT you currently own. How many miles? Do you have all the history of maintenance from previous owners if any? Buying a used car is always a gamble. If you are attached to your current ride then it may be worth it to swap out the spec b parts. Otherwise I wouldnt consider trading in an lgt for a spec b just for the minimum amount of upgrades. Best of luck with whatever you decide!

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Thanks for the post. My current LGT is a 2005 in great shape. The owner gave me a very healthy stack of records accounting for a timing belt, new turbo as a precaution, no banjo filters and then I've continued the maintenance with fluids, coils, plugs, tires, air filter and used spec.b rims.

I think if anything I would lean towards the 6-speed swap in this car (down the road) to avoid the used car gamble. I've done a compression test and its very healthy after 135k.

With that being said you can easily upgrade your LGT to be just as awesome as a spec b without the actual badge, especially if your current ride is in excellent condition. Search around here and you'll see that the differences, aside from the 6 speed, are minimal and you can turn your car into the B fairly easily!

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

There's nothing really wrong with the 5spd (unless you are Stage3+), it's just different. Gearing on the spec.B 6spd is a lot shorter 1-5 than the 5spd, but 6th is a little longer. When just driving around town at 45 i'm in 5th already, but when I'm driving sportingly 3rd and 4th are always in the meat of the torque band. Those who have made the change typically comment about how short the gears are but they love the peace of mind of having a stronger transmission.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

I think it's totally worth it. That being said, I wouldn't have just sold my OBXT to get the SpecB because my OBXT was too modded to make it an easy trade. When my OBXT was totaled from an accident, I took it as my second chance and grabbed a 'B. No regrets, and haven't looked back once.

It depends on how stock your car is, how easily you can find a nice SpecB, and budget. Definitely worth it if you can swing it.

The 5mt is fine if you dont launch a lot or make big TQ numbers. if you are not modding the car, the 5mt is good.

the real benefit the spec b has is the torsen rear diff. But if you are doing a sti 6mt swap, youll get the front LSD and the DCCD center as well the stronger gears of the spec b.

I had Moore Performance Blast Plates installed on my 5mt in my wagon. They make the 5mt shift a lot better.

I enjoy driving my 09 Spec B but the wagon is my toy that I get to use as my DD.

The 5mt was the only major problem but with the Blast Plates it's much more pleasant to shift at any RPM.

The new Spec 2+ clutch is much nicer then my old Spec 2+ clutch that I took out when I put the ej257 SB in.

I will say the Spec B has a much better ride then the wagon which has Koni yellows and Epic Springs. But the wagon does corner flatter then the Spec, the wagon still stock sway bars, just stiffer sway bar bushings up front.

The GF and I feel the radio in the wagon sounds better than the radio in the Spec. The wagon has the upgrade sub and mid range.

The rear window defroster in the wagon works much faster the one in the Spec.

I like the CC handle in the wagon better then the buttons on the Spec.

The seat heaters in the wagon are easier to use then in the Spec.

The power locks in the Spec, most times I can't unlock from inside the house, the wagon I can unlock from 100ft away.

The wagon key fob has a hair trigger, the doors will lock when your pants pocket bumps into something. It's a PITA when you put the key in your pocket and are unloading the car and the shopping bag bumps your pocket. You don't notice the car locked after you leave the keys on the kitchen counter and walk back out for the next load...I learned early on to make sure the car is unlocked before I walk back out for the 2nd load.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I think you need to think about what you like about the specB.

These were my selling points and roughly outline the main differences (some of which are subjective):

-"rarity"

-6spd = bulletproof (i used to race on a 5spd... ugh)

-R180 rear = bulletproof

-Aluminum suspension pieces

-Bilstein struts

-"fully loaded"

Obviously, the only thing you cant buy up there is the "rarity" piece... and to some, that's in the eye of the beholder. But that said, I love everything about this car and do not regret getting a specB over an LGT... no offense to anyone.

I'm not particularly fond of the 6th gear, if I remember correctly 80mph is ~3300 rpm? I wish it was more like 1500 or so.

70 is about 2600 in the spec.B, not even the corvette has a 6th that long to be at 1500 at 80 and honestly that would be far too tall of a gear for the Legacy. Besides 6th in the spec.B is longer than 5th in the 5mt.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

70 is about 2600 in the spec.B, not even the corvette has a 6th that long to be at 1500 at 80 and honestly that would be far too tall of a gear for the Legacy. Besides 6th in the spec.B is longer than 5th in the 5mt.

Wish my JDM STI tranny was geared like that. 80 mph is like 3600-3700, my 5 speed had a longer 5th gear than 6th in this trans. Oh well, still is a bullet proof tranny.

That's true, I'd always take the 6mt over the 5mt, there's no comparison the 6mt is better in more ways than just the ratios.

Just wish I could cruise outside of boost on the freeway without having to slow down!

I had a 2001 legacy gt, 2005 wrx, and now a 2008 spec. Hands down the spec is the best car. The transmission being my favorite part, the upgraded rear diff, the rarity of the car, the unique interior, all these things really make me love my car everyday. my 2008 spec currently has 70k miles and I keep up on all services

dem short gears tho.

I've enjoyed all that there is with my spec, save for the 18" wheels and crap tires that came on them with soft sidewalls. and then replacing them.

on my cruise into work today. my spec was in 6th gear, at 2900 rpm at 80 mph. not bad. and im getting 22.5 mpg average. but I rarely take my car out of ( I) mode. Although the protune makes it incredible when I do go to ( S )

I'd love me a 2008 or 2009 Spec B... but couldn't find one I was willing to pay for. All of them with miles under, say, 70k or 80k were priced at or above 20k. At numbers like that, I would bite the bullet and go for a new 26 thousand dollar 2015 WRX (which also comes with a 6mt).

I ended up settling on an 06 with 65k. 65k of the easiest miles, apparently, because the car drives new as can be. Unfortunately though, I had to settle on the 5mt. I really would have loved to get into a 6 speed Subie..... instead I'm on my 4th 5mt 4th gen. I guess it was just meant to be.

There's nothing really wrong with the 5spd (unless you are Stage3+), it's just different. Gearing on the spec.B 6spd is a lot shorter 1-5 than the 5spd, but 6th is a little longer. When just driving around town at 45 i'm in 5th already, but when I'm driving sportingly 3rd and 4th are always in the meat of the torque band. Those who have made the change typically comment about how short the gears are but they love the peace of mind of having a stronger transmission.

Thanks, this is good info for me, I've been considering getting a Spec B myself. Shorter in town gears would help with in town gas mileage (I live in a hilly area), on my Infiniti swapping 5 speed to 6 speed also brought me shorter 1-4 gears, I hated it at first until I saw that my gas mileage went up 1-3mpg city. :lol:

One thing I can't get over for Spec B is the 38 foot turning radius. I absolutely love the 2005's 35 foot radius, it's just about the only car this size that has such an awesome turning radius. My Infiniti has a 37 foot, and I've been on some Y interactions where I had to do a 3 point turn just not to run off the road... :spin:

I'd love me a 2008 or 2009 Spec B... but couldn't find one I was willing to pay for. All of them with miles under, say, 70k or 80k were priced at or above 20k. At numbers like that, I would bite the bullet and go for a new 26 thousand dollar 2015 WRX (which also comes with a 6mt).

That's my thought exactly, Might as well pay $6-8k more and get Warranty, newer engine, more power, better gas mileage, etc. My only issue with the 2015 WRX is, while it's really nice it still doesn't ride as smooth and comfy as the Legacy.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived