LegacyGT.com

Android tablet in car.

Its a pain if you want to have it removable and you have to cut up the bezel a hard wire in some power to keep it on. You also have to root the tablet to a specific rom that will basically put the tablet in a "sleep" mode when the car is turned off and turn the screen back on when you start it up. You also have to address not being able to reach the power button anymore if you need it for anything. All in all I decided it wasn't really worth all the work to keep it in the car so I ended up replacing it with just a standard double din touch screen radio. I have a fair amount of documentation on it if you do decide to try it out anyway so just let me know if you need a hand.

EDIT: I forgot about all the special cables I had to find too for OTG and power at a 90* to clear the inside of the bezel. And you have to figure out an antenna if you want to pick up AM/FM and some sort of an amp to power your speakers.

Yeah I'm debating on doing a indash install or doing a out of dash removable bracket install. I have clear wireless Internet which works off a isb power and battery last 6 hours and it's usb rechargeable for it. Or might root my note 3 and use that internet. I wanted to make a XBMC setup in the car that can do, Pandora, navigation, torque OBD2. I was thinking about just using my note 3 but haven't made a decision.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

something to note that might help with this, the first gen Nexus 7 has "pogo" pins on the side that are used for the docking station, two output stereo audio, and the other two are for charging, you can learn more about that on the XDA forums. IIRC someone was working for a ROM that was designed for car use.

my friend had an ipad in his dash for all of a week and he took it out. my advice? get yourself a good radio and do everything you want through the head unit through aux or usb.

Smart advice. Mine lasted about a week as well

Sent from my LG-D800

I have a standard mount and an optimus g phone I use. Bluetooth connection to my obdii port. The torque app puts all ecu info right there, I created a custom dashboard with avg mpg, instant mpg, air/fuel, o2v., coolant temp., vacuum, etc. I thought about doing all that in dash, but like it was mentioned, power and everything else, meh...this is simple to remove and looks clean.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Archived