LegacyGT.com

aftermarket clutch mileage Poll

MaStaMooN

How many miles out of your AFTERMARKET clutch?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. How many miles out of your AFTERMARKET clutch?

• 0 - 10k miles
    • 11 - 15k miles
    • 16 - 20k miles
    • 21 - 25k miles
    • 26 - 30k miles
    • 31 - 35k miles
    • 36 - 40k miles
    • 41 - 45k miles
    • 46k + miles

Ok.. its poll time..

Just looking to see what kind of mileage people have gotten out of their aftermarket clutches. It seem rare to see any aftermarket clutch last OEM type mileage at any power level/ stage level.

If you could throw a post down and tell us what you have/had, is it still going, replaced with same or different, etc..

I need a new clutch badly and am having trouble pulling the trigger because everybody seems to recommend a different brand and never has something wrong with it.. but somebody the next post down will tell you a horror story.

Not sure on the exact figure right now but I have around 35k on a competition clutch stage 1. Clutch still feels good but I didn't get the snout kit and the TOB sounds awful :(

EDIT: my profile info is wrong. Turbo is actually a BNR 16g. I also have a smfw from a wrx. Drving style is somewhat spirited, definitely wasn't trying to save the clutch.

Sorry, but I don't understand why any clutch shouldn't last as long if not longer than the OEM unit. The Mcleod clutch I put in my 340 Duster back in the 1970's lasted a long time, well over 100,000 miles. That saw many drag racing launches with 8" slicks. And towing another 340 Duster across the country from CA to CT.

After market brakes last as long.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sorry, but I don't understand why any clutch shouldn't last as long if not longer than the OEM unit.

After market brakes last as long.

I had no idea aftermarket clutches might not last like OEM. I know you can get different brake pad material that might wear faster but give you better performance or the opposite.. but I really never saw clutches rated the same way. I know you can chew through long lasting pads, or baby through performance pads.. but most clutch companies dont say more than "long life".. with no benchmark to tell you what that means. Just a simple YMMV but expect dot dot dot would be awesome.

I had no idea aftermarket clutches might not last like OEM. I know you can get different brake pad material that might wear faster but give you better performance or the opposite.. but I really never saw clutches rated the same way. I know you can chew through long lasting pads, or baby through performance pads.. but most clutch companies dont say more than "long life".. with no benchmark to tell you what that means. Just a simple YMMV but expect dot dot dot would be awesome.

It's been a mystery to me why guy's have bad luck with the FX350. That short life just doesn't seem normal.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I got 15k miles out of my Clutchmasters FX300 and SMFW. No tracks, no burnouts.. just stage 2.5 daily driving. Mostly highway at that.

So many people are getting sub 20k miles out of clutchmasters clutches. Like, I would be super surprised to see someone get even 30k out of a clutchmasters clutch, they just seem like they're expensive trash. :icon_sad:

I see people having Spec2+ clutches lasting a while, but that's very rare.

I haven't really heard anything bad from southbend, but there's so little information, I am reluctant at this time to try them.

It seems like, unfortunately, the OEM clutch is the way to go.

So many people are getting sub 20k miles out of clutchmasters clutches. Like, I would be super surprised to see someone get even 30k out of a clutchmasters clutch, they just seem like they're expensive trash. :icon_sad:

I see people having Spec2+ clutches lasting a while, but that's very rare.

I haven't really heard anything bad from southbend, but there's so little information, I am reluctant at this time to try them.

It seems like, unfortunately, the OEM clutch is the way to go.

Yeah I'm afraid southbend is hype like Clutchmasters was. I think southbend has some more age and experience behind them but until recently I had never heard of them with years on this site.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Comp clutch, exedy, spec, and act I have personally seen performing reliably in tracked or high mileage subies... whereas I have seen probably every clutch ever made complained about on the internet. People will always be more vocal when something fails than when it works with no problems every day for years.

• Moderators

CM FX series seem to be bad all around--anecdotal evidence of short life, bad drivability, and multiple failure. Installing an FX350 was the single worst thing I ever did to my car. It's the inconsistency that is most troubling, with some working OK and others just being terrible. Just stay away.

Other aftermarket clutches may get shorter life than OEM, but at least they're not borderline undrivable on the street like the CM clutches are for some folks, myself included.

That said, I'm happy with my stock STi clutch :)

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

CM FX series seem to be bad all around--anecdotal evidence of short life, bad drivability, and multiple failure. Installing an FX350 was the single worst thing I ever did to my car. It's the inconsistency that is most troubling, with some working OK and others just being terrible. Just stay away.

Other aftermarket clutches may get shorter life than OEM, but at least they're not borderline undrivable on the street like the CM clutches are for some folks, myself included.

That said, I'm happy with my stock STi clutch :)

You cant do stock STi clutch without a sti trans right? Or is there a 5spd sti clutch that fits our cars?

Agreed. And kind of what I was trying to weed out with this poll, which isnt going very well. :)

I hate to sound like Mr. Negative, but i've tried to weed out who has the best clutch for a while now, there are so many conflicting answers, it almost seems like there's no truly solid clutch for our cars. I'll be watching this poll though!

I've had my CM FX300 for 55k miles so far with track days, launch control, flat foot shifting. Most of that (~40k miles) was at stage2, now I'm at 290whp/310wtq. Clutch seems to be warn but still grabs just fine.

I now have about 18k on my fx300 and can barely touch the gas pedal in 3rd gear or higher without it slipping.

I hate to sound like Mr. Negative, but i've tried to weed out who has the best clutch for a while now, there are so many conflicting answers, it almost seems like there's no truly solid clutch for our cars. I'll be watching this poll though!

Yah, I really wish I had a 6speed swap so I could run an STi clutch. Instead of 1200 for a new clutch, maybe I'll do a 6spd swap for 3k.. I'm sure my wife would love that! Lol

coming on close to 48k on a FX300 at stage 3 power levels. only problem so far was an incident where the clutch wouldn't disengage after a week of super high humidity. you could see the clutch fork moving and pushing the TOB, but the clutch wouldn't disengage. I ended up fixing it by getting the car rolling, clutching in and slamming on the brakes.

I read somewhere that kevlar clutches require a change in driving habits (minimal clutch slip) for long life. it has something to do with the material not recovering gracefully if it ever gets overheated. not sure if this is true, but I've been avoiding slipping the clutch as much as possible (engaging just off of idle from a stop, double de-clutch downshifts etc...).

Archived