LegacyGT.com

Decision Time! Exploring NA Exhaust Options

My recently purchased 09 NA Leggy 2.5 has an exhaust leak from where a mailbox roughed up the manifold. I definitely need a new manifold and I am trying to decide what route to take for repairs. I see there are some other options for the NAs beside stock, but would like to know the opinions of some other NA members as to what they think works best. My understanding is that you need UEL to change the sound, I just want opinions as to if it is worth it. I don't want too much drone because this is a daily driver, but a little rumble would be nice. I appreciate any input offered. Thanks to everybody that contributes!

My recently purchased 09 NA Leggy 2.5 has an exhaust leak from where a mailbox roughed up the manifold. I definitely need a new manifold and I am trying to decide what route to take for repairs. I see there are some other options for the NAs beside stock, but would like to know the opinions of some other NA members as to what they think works best. My understanding is that you need UEL to change the sound, I just want opinions as to if it is worth it. I don't want too much drone because this is a daily driver, but a little rumble would be nice. I appreciate any input offered. Thanks to everybody that contributes!

I would tell you the answer but i want you to search b/c ive written many threads on this topic and would like for them to be utilized :lol::hide::rolleyes:

Yeah I have been through several of your posts Gee-Otto and I am thinking about going UEL. By the time I get a new manifold I would be looking at ~$650 with gaskets, ordered online, and then I would have to pay for labor. Judging from your posts I could go with some LGT UELs and have them cut/fabbed for a similar price, with the added benefit of Boxer rumble :wub:

I definitely do appreciate the contributions of other members, though, but at first most of the stuff I found was from 06-07, and I wanted to see if there was anything fresh. I have since came across some more recent threads with newer info. If there is not a big price difference I will most likely be having some UELs cut to fit :)

Yeah I have been through several of your posts Gee-Otto and I am thinking about going UEL. By the time I get a new manifold I would be looking at ~$650 with gaskets, ordered online, and then I would have to pay for labor. Judging from your posts I could go with some LGT UELs and have them cut/fabbed for a similar price, with the added benefit of Boxer rumble :wub:

I definitely do appreciate the contributions of other members, though, but at first most of the stuff I found was from 06-07, and I wanted to see if there was anything fresh. I have since came across some more recent threads with newer info. If there is not a big price difference I will most likely be having some UELs cut to fit :)

Now that you have read :lol: the simpler , more bolt-on soultion to your problems would be a set of RalliSportRacing Headers. All stock locations no cutting, modifications, extensions or dodgy work needed :)

Cost $525 shipped wait time 3-5 weeks (they've been swamped since the debut) email (info@rallisportracing.com) to order

Or you can pay the dealer $600 for a stock manifold or try to find one on RS25.com or NASIOC.com used. Actually there is a guy with a used manifold on there with 30K miles on it , asking $200.

So you have less invasive UEL options these days as opposed to when I modded those LGT manifolds :)

I noticed on RSR's website that the metallic substrate cat option allows easier access to the oil filter. Is the regular RSR header any harder to get around than the OEM? From the pictures it doesn't look like much of an issue, but I can't find anything definite. Starting to get excited about this! I should calm down before my emotions take over all thought processes and I buy a CBE too... :S

So 2.5 Impreza manifolds bolt straight on? I have read so many conflicting accounts on several websites. Searching the rs25 and nasioc sites now. I definitely feel like I am getting closer to having everything right, and I cannot wait until I do. These are beautiful cars when they are running right!

I noticed on RSR's website that the metallic substrate cat option allows easier access to the oil filter. Is the regular RSR header any harder to get around than the OEM? From the pictures it doesn't look like much of an issue, but I can't find anything definite. Starting to get excited about this! I should calm down before my emotions take over all thought processes and I buy a CBE too... :S

So 2.5 Impreza manifolds bolt straight on? I have read so many conflicting accounts on several websites. Searching the rs25 and nasioc sites now. I definitely feel like I am getting closer to having everything right, and I cannot wait until I do. These are beautiful cars when they are running right!

Remember EJ25 exhaust port spacing is the same for all EJ25's (EJ251-EJ257)

I am going to do a little research, because I need to know anyways, but as of right now I am not up on all of the EJXXX meanings :redface:

Well let me help you out dear good sir:lol: All this is associate with the Legacy Model.

All 4 cyl boxer EJ engines ending with a letter are phase 1 i.e. EJ25D, EJ22T, EJ20R

All 4 cyl boxer EJ engines ending with a number are phase 2 i.e EJ205, EJ253, EJ257

EJ is the series of 4 cyl engines from 89 to current for all Subaru Models. This excludes the 2012 Impreza and BRZ as they have the FB20 or FA20 engine (different thread ;))

To make your life simple the manifold and mid/cat pipe from ANY 4 cyl non turbo 2006+ Subaru will fit any other subaru of the same variety i.e. Forester manifold fits a Legacy, Legacy fits an Impreza, Impreza fits and Outback. This is all stock parts mind you but UEL or EL solutions work across the map for the models listed.

UEL = Enequal -->Boxer note

EL = Equal --> If done wrong will mimic any two stroke MX :lol:

TEL = Tuned equal length ---> best of the three gains in every department ;)

N/A engines EJ 22E,EJ251, EJ253

Turbo Engines EJ22T, EJ205, EJ207 EJ255 EJ257

**Note there are other N/A and F/I engines but these are the ones that relate most to the USDM

N/A 6cyl engines EG33, EZ30D, EZ36D (ALL are DOHC)

**Note the first turbo EJ engines in the US were EJ22T found in 91-94 Legacy then they mixed in N/A EJ22E, EJ25D and EJ251 until 2005 when the Legacy got the EJ255. **

When looking for Legacy parts make sure they are for SOHC H4 or EJ253 or NON TURBO. (this applies to most mechanical parts i.e.brakes, timing belts, fuel pumps) When looking for body parts LGT or 3.0R or 2.5i are ALL THE SAME except the hoods ;)

Which leads me to the H6 legacies. The first h6 Legacy was technically a Legacy Outback or Outback Legacy :lol: with a EZ30D in 2000.

DOHC and SOHC N/A EJ's :

The only DOHC EJ N/A engine for the USDM legacy was the EJ25D (96-99)

All the following are SOHC :EJ22E, EJ251, EJ253

Two other oddities: the single exhaust port EJ22E found in some 96 to 98 legacies and the EJ25D. These engines have a phase 1 and Phase two iteration but they both encompassed in the PHASE 1 era of the EJ engine.

Phase 1 EJ22E: 91-96

Phase 2 Ej22E: 96-98

Phase 1 EJ25D: 96-97

Phase 2Ej25D:97-98

All are PHASE 1 engines in the grand scheme of EJ engines

Current engine the Ej253

There are also three phases of the EJ253 (2005, 05-09, 10-Current)

Early phase used the Impreza exhaust layout, which is why the 2005 guys can simply bolt on Borla type UEL headers and we cannot.

The rest you should be able to find but that should help out initially

Just realized my reply did not post a couple days ago. Soooo, let me 'splain. No. There is too much. Let me sum up. - WOW! Thank you VERY much. Super useful. I appreciate you taking time to help n00bs like myself.

• 2 weeks later...

/\ Amen to that! It was less than a year ago I thought Subarus were granola cars driven by people with german sheperds that and very enthusiastic about cross country skiing and possibly lesbians. But then I drove my friend's 2000 legacy...

and I did this: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻) sold my S10 and bought my Legacy (which is nicer than my friends hehehe) But his did have some mods (not that he knew, he doesn't know shit about cars) it had a CAI and possibly a rear sway because it was amazing at drifting lol

/\ Amen to that! It was less than a year ago I thought Subarus were granola cars driven by people with german sheperds that and very enthusiastic about cross country skiing and possibly lesbians. But then I drove my friend's 2000 legacy...

and I did this: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻) sold my S10 and bought my Legacy (which is nicer than my friends hehehe) But his did have some mods (not that he knew, he doesn't know shit about cars) it had a CAI and possibly a rear sway because it was amazing at drifting lol

I love to ski, now about lesbians :lol:

Archived