LegacyGT.com

Advice/help fixing cracked lip

Pedestrian

I recently purchased an RBS front lip with a 6" lateral crack in it (got it dirt cheap, couldn't resist). I'm new to the New England area, and don't know of any reputable shops locally that I could take it to, so I was thinking about tackling the fix myself. From what I have read, a good (non-premixed) bondo should do the trick, but my lack of experience makes me weary of an attempt. Does anyone have any advice/suggestions for approaching this, or know of any shops around Amherst that could fix it for relatively cheap? Also, would anyone be interested possibly helping me? I would be more than happy to travel to you, and provide beer of course :)

I too have a severely crackes RBS lip that I'm going to repair and rebuild this spring, and I used to live in Amherst...wierddddd

I'm going to fiberglass it with some fiber cloth, resin jelly, sand, bondo, sand, bondo, sand, bondo, sand, filler primer, sand, prime, paint :)

Get it so the crack is lined up as best you can and do the majority of the glass work from the back side to build strength so it won't crack again, then just use a little firba-glass or bondo to fill the crack on the face. This will save hours of sanding and refilling. Again structure on the back side and cosmetics on the surface.;)
Let's kick this pig!

what you want to do is, go to your local auto parts store or auto body supply shop and get a 2 part epoxy suitable for the substrate, the person helping you should know the proper steps to make it work good.

you dont want to stick with just bondo, bondo will shrink a little bit and if it is placed in the lip, the lip may flex with day to day driving or if its bumped by a parking median etc.. it will crack then back to square one.

that is my easy way of doing it, working in a body shop for just over 2 years has helped me a lot in doing the small tasks such as this, hope this works out for ya and let me know how it turned out and what way you used.

03 BH

Mods: Group A Alt & Crank Pullys and end links,

CIA, JDM L7 Grille, JDM HID lights, JDM rear tails

Stromung CBE, KYB GR2's W/ H&R springs.

Archived